Rewound pickups. Anyone ever done it?

Johnny Rigs

"Hold on to your butts" - Samuel L Jackson
Yes, crazy talk.

So I just got a set of uncovered gold VB/HFS pickups to complete my white 'n gold PTC Floyd makeover. I personally love the uncovered "squabbin" look. And now I have an extra set. There's another pickup maker I'd like to try at some point (Wolfetone), but this bobbin shape is obviously unique to PRS and not a part that's sold on its own.

Has anyone used a donor set of squabbins to have rewound by their pickup maker of choice? I'm assuming it's possible, but haven't confirmed that it actually is.

Yes, crazy talk.

So I just got a set of uncovered gold VB/HFS pickups to complete my white 'n gold PTC Floyd makeover. I personally love the uncovered "squabbin" look. And now I have an extra set. There's another pickup maker I'd like to try at some point (Wolfetone), but this bobbin shape is obviously unique to PRS and not a part that's sold on its own.

Has anyone used a donor set of squabbins to have rewound by their pickup maker of choice? I'm assuming it's possible, but haven't confirmed that it actually is.

I haven't done that, but I've had Wolfetone pickups and they're awesome. Wolfe is also excellent with the customer service, drop him an email and ask, he'll get back to you quickly.

I second Wolfe as the best! His pickups sound amazing and there isn't a better person to deal with. Honestly, his Dr V/Marshallhead combo is one of the rare sets that rivals or surpasses my love for the PRS 59/09. I don't know if he still does this or ever really did, but I read the other day on a forum that he used to do rewinds for you too. I don't know if that is factual or not. I can say he's nailed some custom winds for me that I couldn't be happier with. Drop him a line or give him a call... You'll be glad you did!

Yes, crazy talk.

Most builders will do rewinds, I actually wind my own pickups (for the mostpart) and started out by stripping and rewinding the stock pickups in a lot of my guitars - some have never been swapped out since. as long as the bobbins are clean and free from any rough edges ita actually quite simple to do.

I scored some rewound 408 pickups and sent them to a buddy of mine. Still have no idea how they sound. He hasn’t told me if his luthier put them in yet.

I second Wolfe as the best! His pickups sound amazing and there isn't a better person to deal with. Honestly, his Dr V/Marshallhead combo is one of the rare sets that rivals or surpasses my love for the PRS 59/09. I don't know if he still does this or ever really did, but I read the other day on a forum that he used to do rewinds for you too. I don't know if that is factual or not. I can say he's nailed some custom winds for me that I couldn't be happier with. Drop him a line or give him a call... You'll be glad you did!
Yeah the Dr. V + Marshallhead combo was what I was thinking about. I talked to him a while back about a high-output recommendation, and he was not only very nice to communicate with, he also offered to take the pickups back and tweak them if they didn't fit my need. I ended up finding a squabbin \m/ from a forum member at the same time, so I couldn't help myself but go that route. But I've been wanting to give Wolfetone my business ever since.

Yeah the Dr. V + Marshallhead combo was what I was thinking about. I talked to him a while back about a high-output recommendation, and he was not only very nice to communicate with, he also offered to take the pickups back and tweak them if they didn't fit my need. I ended up finding a squabbin \m/ from a forum member at the same time, so I couldn't help myself but go that route. But I've been wanting to give Wolfetone my business ever since.

The \m/ is a pickup on my list. I was on the hunt last year for a set but ended up going with some DW tomahawks instead. Another great set of pickups.

When I had Wolfe do the custom winds with the offer to rewind for me was a no brainer. 0nce I thought about taking him up on that when I was going for a bit more polite sound than usual for a guitar. Then I put it in a SG and that pickup is never going anywhere!

I should also add Wolfe has consistently been the fastest turnaround time too. Good price, product, and service plus fast.. almost unheard if these days.

The \m/ is a pickup on my list. I was on the hunt last year for a set but ended up going with some DW tomahawks instead. Another great set of pickups.

When I had Wolfe do the custom winds with the offer to rewind for me was a no brainer. 0nce I thought about taking him up on that when I was going for a bit more polite sound than usual for a guitar. Then I put it in a SG and that pickup is never going anywhere!

I should also add Wolfe has consistently been the fastest turnaround time too. Good price, product, and service plus fast.. almost unheard if these days.

I’ve had a couple uncovered \m/ pickups and they were great. I recently purchased a set of covered ones to go on my Swamp Ash Special. Looking forward to how those rock out.

Back