Revisiting my Custom 50 last night... very happy!!!

cyclops

Last night was the first night I'd played my Custom 50 out in a while. I have been using my Koch TwinTone II lately, as it is VERY small and light, and has great tone. Recently, the second guitarist from our band quit, so I decided to bring out the Custom 50 as it has a 2x12 closed back cab instead of a 1x12 open back, and I thought it would fill up some of the extra space...

So, I played the Custom 50 last night at our gig. I've switched this amp's tubes from 6L6s to EL34s last year, to try to get a bit more of a 'Marshally' sound, and I like the spongy-ness of the EL34s. To me, 6L6 based amps are a bit stiff. The band set up last night, and I didn't even really get much time to play with the settings on the amp. To make a short story long... I was blown away. The amp sounded fantastic. I didn't use either one of my distortion pedals, which is how I'd been working with the Twintone (clean + pedals to keep the levels under control) I was able to get the boost dialed in, and my effect in my loop were sounding good again. I'll be back to playing this for gigs for now.

Back