Revisiting loved albums from your youth - What are they?

I started listening to hard rock music when I was young. It was KISS (Alive and Alive II) that started me down the path. Then it was AC/DC (High Voltage, Highway to Hell, and Back in Black), Van Halen (I, II, Women and Children First, and Fair Warning) and Ozzy (Blizzard of Ozz, Diary of a Madman, and Speak of the Devil). After that the flood gates opened (Sabbath, Priest, and Maiden). Then in my teens, when the hair metal days started, I went through a classic rock phase listening to The Beatles (Sgt. Pepper - Abbey Road), Led Zeppelin (I - Physical Graffiti), and Pink Floyd (Meddle - The Wall). The combination of classic metal and classic rock is probably why I liked Alice in Chains (Facelift - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here), Soundgarden (Louder Than Love - King Animal), and Tool (Ænima - 10,000 Days) during the '90s. I still listen to all of those records regularly.

Wow, I feel really old seeing what some of you say you were listening to in your "youth". Old stuff that I'm revisiting includes Black Oak Arkansas, Blind Faith, and the neglected Black Sabbath albums. Alice Cooper, Uriah Heep, and Traffic are there, too.
I'm so glad that I'm listening to Foghat again. It's just great freakin' music. Too bad most people's opinion of them is based on one song.

Wow, I feel really old seeing what some of you say you were listening to in your "youth". Old stuff that I'm revisiting includes Black Oak Arkansas, Blind Faith, and the neglected Black Sabbath albums. Alice Cooper, Uriah Heep, and Traffic are there, too.
I'm so glad that I'm listening to Foghat again. It's just great freakin' music. Too bad most people's opinion of them is based on one song.

First album I ever owned was Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'n' Roll. I still get chills rocking that one. It's just so damn heavy.

I listened to a ton of Sabbath. I can't recall exactly when, maybe around that same time. They were one of my faves. I got heavy into Zep and Hendrix when I first moved out of my parents. I bought the box sets as they came out so I would have and know everything they did. For the life of me, I don't get why they didn't release them in original album format that 1st time:(
I spent hours upon hours listening to that catalog over and over at my 1st apartment - good times.

I took a listen of Robin Trower - In City Dreams yesterday. The title track might be my least favourite on the album (yes it is vinyl), but I love the vocal and guitar phrasing.

Since I started this thread I have been going through my music collection and grabbing stuff I haven't listened to in ages. Recent releases have kept me occupied but today I rocked out to an oldie as I drove around town completing my errands.

The Lemonheads - It's A Shame About Ray
Released in 1992. I had this album well before I started playing guitar and fondly remember rocking out as I mowed lawns in the summer. I mean come on, Juliana Hatfield played bass and sang backup vocals! This album reminds me that songs need to breath. I feel like I hear lots of what I would call rock music where the guitars have enough gain to be metal. It cramps up the songs and they suffocate. Anyways, Track 4 - Rudderless. Awesome.

My first album ever.....I rarely listen to it these days :)

081227774424.jpg

My second album ever...moving into classic territory:

And, amazingly, my 3rd album ever...listened to once, in 1967...and never listened to again! Hey...I was 12 years old, on a limited budget, and this was on sale for $1.99 at Alexander's Dept. Store...a momentary diversion, never to be repeated:

My first "Heavy Album"

And, to top it off, my first "Classic Album"

Note...all albums bought NEW, shortly upon release, which clearly dates me as being older than dirt.

Heart - debut album & Little Queen
Foreigner - debut album & Double Vision
Led Zepplin - I, II, IV, and Houses of the Holy
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive! (don't laugh)
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Street Survivors (I purchased the album before the cover was changed after the crash)
Van Halen - I & II
Pink Floyd - Animals and Dark Side of the Moon
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
REO Speedwagon - Live: You Get What You Play For
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage

The Cult Sonic Temple- a well over looked rock classic
U2 The Joshua Tree- one of the best albums ever made

and many others I am working my way through

Reign In Blood by Slayer is one of my favorites as well. Angel of Death is so brutal! \m/

While I understand Kirk Hammett isn't the best lead player, his first solo on Fade to Black is what made me want to play guitar. Its the first song I learned and I still love it.
11metallica-ride-the-lightning.jpg

Marty Friedman's leads on Rust in Peace changed my life. Still gets plenty of play time.

518hnO5psGL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Both of these albums by Pink Floyd. Amazing stuff. I know, I know, but the solo from Comfortably Numb just gives my the chills every time.

1348260897-the_dark_side_of_the_moon-1a.jpeg

The+Wall++high+resolution+png.png

I already listed too many here, but this still gets alot of play time.
Surfing+With+The+Alien.png

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Kiss- Creatures of the Night
Joe Satriani - Surfing With the Alien
Van Halen - 1984
Def Leppard - Hysteria
Eric Clpaton - Time Pieces

Those were the ones on heavy rotation

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Kiss- Creatures of the Night
Joe Satriani - Surfing With the Alien
Van Halen - 1984
Def Leppard - Hysteria
Eric Clpaton - Time Pieces

Those were the ones on heavy rotation

Def Leppard - Hysteria

I remember having to buy that cassette a number times. Summer time listening while mowing lawns for string money or cruising my 3 street 'hood on my bike. Great, great album.

Back