Preference?

• Regular CU24

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • CU24-08 with Swamp Ash body

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

Mert Mermerci

Hello dear all,

I just found my dream CU24 (in terms of cosmetics) however it’s a CU24-08 with Swamp Ash back and 85/15MTs. How does it sound when it’s compared with a regular CU24?

I generally play progressive metal/rock but looking for a guitar to handle some jazz, fusion also.
Thank you for your time in advance. :)

Same pickups? If so then I’d imagine they sound pretty much the same.

Thank you all for your responses :) Actually, my main concern is the reliability of the split system. I encounter many guitars whose split systems did not work well or just failed. Do you have any experience on them, how are they responding in the long run?

Thank you all for your responses :) Actually, my main concern is the reliability of the split system. I encounter many guitars whose split systems did not work well or just failed. Do you have any experience on them, how are they responding in the long run?
I have absolutely no concern about quality and longevity of core PRS electronics.

I haven’t compared the 2, but swamp ash is brighter sounding than the normal mahogany back. I believe either would work fine for what you want to do. What your preference is? That’s up to everyone’s own.

I haven’t compared the 2, but swamp ash is brighter sounding than the normal mahogany back. I believe either would work fine for what you want to do. What your preference is? That’s up to everyone’s own.
Due to the COVID-19 situation I didn’t have an opportunity to try them yet. That’s why I want to have some opinions and thanks to you guys that sharing your thoughts with me.

What about P24s, are they just regular CU24 with Piezo? Do you like it? Which one would you suggest P24 or CU24-08?

As I said, I’m into progressive metal/rock and jazz.

Due to the COVID-19 situation I didn’t have an opportunity to try them yet. That’s why I want to have some opinions and thanks to you guys that sharing your thoughts with me.

What about P24s, are they just regular CU24 with Piezo? Do you like it? Which one would you suggest P24 or CU24-08?

Depends on if you have real plans to use the piezo. If not, I prefer to have individual coil tap switches to be able to have one pickup tapped and the other full humbucker. That said, I don’t recall how the pickup selector is wired for the P24.

Since you’re into prog metal - Opeth performs almost exclusively on Custom 24 Piezos.

Since you’re into prog metal - Opeth performs almost exclusively on Custom 24 Piezos.
Yes I watched them 2 times in the last 8 months, they were amazing and they use the piezo sound so many times during the show. In addition, I play "Opeth" type of music generally - and a little bit jazz - so I'm searching for a PRS guitar for that type of music more specifically. Till now, I see that CU24 or CU24-08 satisfies my needs. Do you have any other suggestions or comments about these two models?

Yes I watched them 2 times in the last 8 months, they were amazing and they use the piezo sound so many times during the show. In addition, I play "Opeth" type of music generally - and a little bit jazz - so I'm searching for a PRS guitar for that type of music more specifically. Till now, I see that CU24 or CU24-08 satisfies my needs. Do you have any other suggestions or comments about these two models?
I've been happy with the 5-way blade on my CU24, and have the McCarty switching on my CE24 (3-way toggle w/ coil tap on tone knob).

Also, as I understood from what I read and heard 85/15s are the most convenient pickups for my needs. What do you think?
They're great pickups for what you're talking about.

I have guitars with other in them (59/09, Tremonti, VB/HFS) but those are all for more pushed sounds.

Back