Reversing DGT Volume

toneocaster

Hello all, my first post and yes, I'm a newbie! ;-) I have a 09 DGT and unlike David, I would like to switch the volume pots so the first will control the neck pup and the second the bridge pup. I would like to keep the guitar as stock as possible and I figured by switching the wires on the toggle switch it would in turn solve my problem......well it didn't. Is there an easy "rewire" I could do that would do the trick? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanx in advance for y'all's help!

Not really that difficult. If you just switch the leads on the pickups wired to the volume lugs, you should be good. Depending on how much slack is in the braid wire is attached to the volume pots, you might have to unsolder those and reattach.

Upon second look at the wiring diagram for the DGT, wouldn't one have to reverse the red wires to the toggle and the white on the tone, push pull as well? I would imagine the ground would remain the same.

Upon second look at the wiring diagram for the DGT, wouldn't one have to reverse the red wires to the toggle and the white on the tone, push pull as well? I would imagine the ground would remain the same.

The red wires to the toggle would have to also be changed to make the switching positions correct, sounds as if you'd already done that.

Last edited:
The red wires to the toggle would have to also be changed to make the switching positions correct, sounds as if you'd already done that. The white wires for the taps should make no difference unless yours is a 2012 and has the 2 resistors on the coil tap ground wires. In that case, you'd need to switch those too.
You don't want or need to change the white wires. If you do that you'll end up changing the tapped sounds, as the neck pickup will have a 2.2k resistor to ground and the bridge a 1.1k resistor to ground - the opposite way to how Paul intended. There is no direct relationship between the the pot lugs that the pickup hot lead goes to and the white coil tap wires. Both coil tap wires end up at ground, but via different value resistors - which effectively mean that when tapped, the neck pickup has about 25% of the tapped coil mixed in and the bridge has about 50% of the tapped coil.

You don't want or need to change the white wires. If you do that you'll end up changing the tapped sounds, as the neck pickup will have a 2.2k resistor to ground and the bridge a 1.1k resistor to ground - the opposite way to how Paul intended. There is no direct relationship between the the pot lugs that the pickup hot lead goes to and the white coil tap wires. Both coil tap wires end up at ground, but via different value resistors - which effectively mean that when tapped, the neck pickup has about 25% of the tapped coil mixed in and the bridge has about 50% of the tapped coil.
I stand corrected. I wasn't thinking about that in my original post. As a side note, I find that I prefer slightly higher resistor values on my tapped coils with at least 2.5k - 3k for the bridge and 1.5 - 2k for the neck. I added 3k bridge/ 2k neck for my DGT with 59/09s and it made the tapped tones much more usable by themselves.

Back