Reverb

Anyone got any info / feedback on this site? Someone mentioned it to me and I had a quick look. They have loads and loads of McCarty models which is what I want to get sometime soon.

I buy and sell through Reverb all the time. I've had great success, both ways. It was actually started by the guy that owns Chicago Music Exchange.

I've bought on Reverb....never sold. My experiences have been great. Of course, my purchases from individuals were higher dollar ($1500 or more) and from businesses such as Daves.

Because I've never had a complaint, I have no experience with dealing with customer service so I can't speak to that.

I have used it for buying and selling - more buying than selling, lol. I dig the site and find it easier to deal with that ebay.

I've purchased on Reverb from both individuals and businesses.

If I have a question I message the person. For example the text may say that the guitar is in great shape, near mint but they list it as very good. Sometimes the headline and the description in the body don't match up. Also if they write only a few words in the description I will generally pass.

I never buy from anyone not willing to photograph all sides of the guitar or without sufficient detail in the photos. I will ask for more photos if I'm interested.

I check how many sales they've had and what the buyer response has been ..... not just the stars but what people have written.

I check my wallet.

I've bought several items through Reverb. I bought my 594 from BCR Music & Sound through Reverb in April. They were great to work with. I gave them the credit card info about 10am on a Friday and it was boxed and ready to go out by 1:30pm. I had it shipped to where I work and it arrived 4 days later. I would for sure buy from them again. Although, PRS guitars are about the only guitar I'll buy without playing first. Don't know how many more PRSi I need (quickly ducks head).

I've also bought some pedals from The Guitar Guru Network. They were quick with messages and shipping.

I got both of my Tremonti SEs on Reverb for great prices. What's great about Reverb is that you are protected if a seller decides to pull a fast one or if you get a defective product.

Like others, I've done business on Reverb, buying only though, since my Reverb Feedback Rating is very limited with only several purchases. Both from private sellers and bricks and mortar businesses with online connections...have found that Reverb typically has higher prices than eBay, but sometimes you find the rare commodity at a great price and conclude a sale...

That being said, most all of my purchases have been either new or almost new from private seller or retail dealer with out-of-state presence. And found some good prices and values for the effort it took to research them...

@Deli6505: PayPal also offers the same buyer protection as well as eBay.

Only once did I ever have a sale go awry with Reverb...the sale had gone through, but the dealer later informed me that their online inventory had not been updated and the item purchased was previously sold, so my sale price was refunded within a day's time. The price was great, but it was just as well...the item was not quite what I had sought out originally, and was fulfilling only a desire, not a need.

Last edited:
I just bought a PRS Dallas head thru Reverb, today. It'll be my 5th purchase, and the others (smaller items, pedals and Celestion speakers) went so well that I felt safe upping the purchase price.

I've sold several items on Reverb, over the last few years, and bought a few as well.

It's a good thing. A few notes:

Five-star ratings on sales seem to be customary and expected on both sides, so look for ratings of less than 5 stars to be a warning sign. That said, I have not had a bad buying or selling experience aside from buyers who want to lowball you. But that happens everywhere.

I did receive one guitar that was clearly damaged in transit. It had a gouge in the box (that I thought was inconsequential but wasn't) when it arrived. The gouge lined perfectly up with a quarter-sized paint chip on the 30 year old guitar that otherwise looked pristine. The dent was not in the seller photos, and I fished paint chips out of the packaging that fit the hole perfectly. So there was no question that this was shipping damage.

The seller had paid for insurance, so I started to make a claim with Reverb, but it quickly became clear that there was going to be a lot of documentation and fuss for a half-satisfactory resolution. So I decided "screw it" and had that guitar body repainted at my own expense.

That was my one bad experience with Reverb, and maybe it would have been worth it to somebody else in a different situation to pursue the insurance claim. But to me the Reverb insurance wasn't what it was cracked up to be.

It's possible to find some really nice gear on Reverb, and at a price that will agree with your wallet. You just need to do your research and check out new items as they make themselves available, then, ask questions if necessary and pounce before someone else pounces.

I'd recently been fortunate with 2 of my recent acquisitions from Reverb...an MSRP PRS S2 SC Std Dot Antique White Gloss....for $1000, and a PRS A60E SE Angelus for $695...the SE Angelus was indeed a good find that replaced a mediocre-unplugged Yamaha, and has nicer tone and inlay, so much so the deal couldn't be passed up...

Call it the luck of the draw, but when you see something you like, and your budget allows, and you're applying the 1-in-1-out rule...time's-a-wastin'! Otherwise, if you're waiting for the deal of your lifetime to fall into your lap, please let the rest of us have chance at scooping up your cast-offs...we'll take whatever you feel isn't worthy of your arsenal/harem and make it ours...

Last edited:
Back