Return Guitar to Sweetwater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex1fly

Does anyone have experience returning a guitar to Sweetwater? I'm looking to return a new Charvel to them and I know they have a great return policy, so I'm wondering mostly about the shipping methods and costs. My receipt from them shows $15 of "free shipping", so I know I'll forfeit the $15 and then eat the cost of shipping the guitar back. I have all the original packaging... can anyone recommend a shipping method that won't cost an arm and a leg and still be safe/reliable?

Wondering particularly about shipping back in a Sweetwater box, if anyone has experience doing that. Having worked in a pack/ship store, I know firsthand that with packages that big, a few inches can quickly bump you up into another cost category.

Thanks, Alex

Do you have, or need, a Return Authorization from Sweetwater already?

I would repack the guitar carefully, using the original packaging (as long as the box isn't busted). Lots of bubble wrap between the case and the box. I always put a double fold of paper towels between the frets and the strings and tune down a step, but that's just me.

Don't cheap out, trying to save a few bucks on shipping, is my motto. Better a few more dollars on the front end than the hassle and expense of a busted guitar. I've used UPS Ground and not had a problem (fingers crossed) for over 20 years.

=K

Agree with Kiwi on packing and shipping. I use UPS when shipping. I did return one to Sweetwater once but since the guitar left their store in less than stellar condition and my then "sales engineer" was not committed to customer service, once I elevated the issue, they paid return shipping and had a replacement guitar on my doorstep in 2 days. So overall they are good about returns.

@alex1fly:

You will likely need to speak with your sales rep about a return...what with Covid many retailers are still not accepting returned merchandise because of health concerns.

I agree with Candidpicker in that you should contact your sales rep. I know they are taking guitars back, though. I have a buddy that has sent them back in the last couple of months.

And, as Kiwi said, don't skip out on repackaging it. As for who to ship it with, go with whomever you've had the best experience with. I generally use FedEx because they have a shipping warehouse less than 2 miles from my house. There is a UPS store just as close, but their prices are higher. Also, you could use USPS. I shipped a guitar from Chicago to Germany last month. The first price they gave me was $34 and change.

If you pack it yourself, take pictures. It's a simple step, but if it gets damaged in transit you can prove it left in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back