Resistors on McCarty push/pull coil split pot

Figaro

I noticed PRS puts 1.1K and 2.2K resistors on the McCarty coil split pot to split the humbuckers. What is their function and how would the coil split sound without them?

I noticed PRS puts 1.1K and 2.2K resistors on the McCarty coil split pot to split the humbuckers. What is their function and how would the coil split sound without them?
They'd sound brighter and thinner when split. If you're curious, just unsolder one leg of each one and try it without. Guessing you'll reconnect them in about 30 seconds.

Is the split sound louder with the resistors?

Yes, and fuller sounding, and slightly humbucking. By shunting the signal to ground via the resistors, it lets a small amount of signal from the cancelled coil come through.

I call it a partial split.

i've just read this and i'm quite interested in modding my SE SC with this...is there an schematic to do it? My split coils sounds "ok", but not "great" and would love to experiment :p

I just added these resistors on my two 2008 McCartys and my 2009 Mira, and I love the new split sounds!

On the Mira, I added a second switch to use a distinct coil tap switch for each pickup (the small pic shows the original one-switch pickguard). This mod results in eight different sounds similar to the 408 or the Paul's Guitar.

mira-mt-rev-b-body-jpg.576038

I just added these resistors on my two 2008 McCartys and my 2009 Mira, and I love the new split sounds!

On the Mira, I added a second switch to use a distinct coil tap switch for each pickup (the small pic shows the original one-switch pickguard). This mod results in eight different sounds similar to the 408 or the Paul's Guitar.

mira-mt-rev-b-body-jpg.576038

Nice! Did the same thing to my Cu22. Love it.

Back