Resale value

Could do. They are kind of fun.
But I was thinking of the Ice Queen.
Maria road it to the South Pole. I’m thinking IditaBike.
Maria_Leijerstam_on_her_Polar_Cycle-book-crop-abf4ebaf.jpeg
That is bada$$!!!!!

Don't tell Paul to roll back the prices!!! I just bought a 2020 Custom 24 Black Gold Artist Series.

And, in my searching for a PRS, I was surprised at the high prices being asked for used ones. I'm not sure if they were actually "selling" for asking prices, but they seemed high given age and condition.

There are mitigating circumstances tho. One is always looking for best examples of type over run of the mill. Another is finding something special at a good price when new, and that takes both patience and luck. I know I got lucky with my 594 WL. I’d been looking at every 594 I could find until I ran across an absolute stunner from Eddie’s. Turned out Brett is a good friend of a good friend, so I got it for less than used. I’m absolutely sure I could sell it for at least what I paid, but I could never replace it :)

I literally paid a guy to paint my house, inside that is, for the cost of a Wood Library. I mean really? I measure everything with the cost of PRS guitars. I feel like I am gambling/negotiating with myself. One Private Stock = 1/2 car. I will see your private stock and call you with 2 Wood Libraries for your Air Conditioner in your house plus a pool. LOL

A friend in college came up with "The Pizza Index." He maintained that nearly everyone equated the price of something expensive with something they like/want. For him it was always pizzas. For me at the time it was albums. Now it's guitars, keyboards, lately bicycles, books, and still albums.

Anyway, for something related, the last time I needed to buy a car I test drove and considered some "entry-level luxury" models. As much as I like driving and cars, though, I couldn't convince myself to go with something that pricey. So I bought a fairly modest compact sedan but soon after used the "I could have spent so much more" excuse to buy a couple guitars, including my PRS Mira.

And related to the home-remodeling aside, a cousin once got my parents a deal on a mahogany door. It's a very nice door, but I keep thinking the wood would be so much nicer made into instruments.
---

Anyway, to the original point of this thread, I've looked at the prices of some used PRSs at times and thought they seemed to hold a fair amount of value. It's probably best I haven't found an outrageous bargain on an older McCarty or Swamp Ash Special, as I need to save money these days, but I'll still look every so often.

I'll guess that Gibson, Fender, and Martin will always get a premium for the general brand recognition, but I don't think PRS is far off. That's especially true compared to US-made G&Ls and Hamers (I own one of each).

To me it always seemed like the core models do pretty well in resale value, but only if they’re in great condition. The same people that don’t mind a few dents on a Fender or Gibson wouldn’t touch a PRS core that’s hacked up. I’d be the first to admit it was the strikingly good looks that initially attracted me to PRS and there’s really no vintage vibe thing like there is with Gibson or Fender. A minty core model holds its value pretty well, a scratch and dent core model not so much :)

I decided upon retiring to get back into playing guitar. Over the last 18 months I've enjoyed doing a ton of research, and then making a purchase. To date, I've purchased 3 guitars, which fill the entire spectrum of my needs and I don't plan to buy any others. This flies in the face of people who have 5, 10, 15 or 20+ guitars with some being multiples of the same thing, but hey -- it's a free country!!! Do whatever floats your boat.

I took a minimalist approach, but with a very select group. I bought an absolutely pristine and virtually unplayed 1992 Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus from a fellow who had well over 100 guitars, collected over 40 years. I then bought a D-28 Martin 12 string. And, most recently a 2020 PRS Custom 24 Artist Series. Each expensive although bought very reasonably after negotiations, but all incredible guitars in their own right and in a way not expensive because if I get hit by a bus tomorrow, each would command a very solid price used, as I keep things in exceptional condition. But, the main thing is the enjoyment that they give me each time I pick one up and spend time with them.

I'm not good, so in a sense having these 3 guitars is somewhat like someone having a grand piano in their living room even 'tho they can barely play chop sticks. It is functional art. I put the 3 guitars in the same category, as each makes me smile when I see them, and more so when I play them. And, by limiting the number of guitars I own, I can concentrate the money into really good examples. It's all fun, and after many months of research, I'm very glad to now own a PRS. I've just started playing it and am still in that "Amazed" phase. It just feels good when I pick it up, very easy to play and the range of sounds with the 5 way switch is just amazing. Much wider range than my Les Paul with it's 3 way toggle switch and covered pickups.

I decided upon retiring to get back into playing guitar. Over the last 18 months I've enjoyed doing a ton of research, and then making a purchase. To date, I've purchased 3 guitars, which fill the entire spectrum of my needs and I don't plan to buy any others. This flies in the face of people who have 5, 10, 15 or 20+ guitars with some being multiples of the same thing, but hey -- it's a free country!!! Do whatever floats your boat.

I took a minimalist approach, but with a very select group. I bought an absolutely pristine and virtually unplayed 1992 Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus from a fellow who had well over 100 guitars, collected over 40 years. I then bought a D-28 Martin 12 string. And, most recently a 2020 PRS Custom 24 Artist Series. Each expensive although bought very reasonably after negotiations, but all incredible guitars in their own right and in a way not expensive because if I get hit by a bus tomorrow, each would command a very solid price used, as I keep things in exceptional condition. But, the main thing is the enjoyment that they give me each time I pick one up and spend time with them.

I'm not good, so in a sense having these 3 guitars is somewhat like someone having a grand piano in their living room even 'tho they can barely play chop sticks. It is functional art. I put the 3 guitars in the same category, as each makes me smile when I see them, and more so when I play them. And, by limiting the number of guitars I own, I can concentrate the money into really good examples. It's all fun, and after many months of research, I'm very glad to now own a PRS. I've just started playing it and am still in that "Amazed" phase. It just feels good when I pick it up, very easy to play and the range of sounds with the 5 way switch is just amazing. Much wider range than my Les Paul with it's 3 way toggle switch and covered pickups.

Sounds like we’re a lot alike when it comes to guitars. I only have a few but they’re all really nice instruments that reflect my tastes. I’m not all that great when it comes to playing them but I have fun and enjoy owning functional art. It gives me something to visually appreciate, something fun to play with, and something to keep my dreams alive all in the same package.

For the last couple years it’s been 2 acoustics and 2 electrics I’m totally enamored with.

2017 PRS 594 Wood Library
2018 Gibson Modern Les Paul Custom “Heartwwood”
2015 MIJ Takamine Santa Fe
2016 MIJ Takamine EF75MTT

I thought I was done, but a few weeks ago I got a Strat bug up my butt and ended up getting a great deal on one of the new Fender American Ultras. I’ve never really been a Strat guy but I’ve been playing around with Gilmour stuff and I really wanted the single coil sound. It’s not as unique as my LP or 594 but it’s really nice as Strats go and Eddie’s set it up perfectly with a floating trem. What really surprises me is how well it plays and stays in tune. Now I’m properly representing the big three American guitar companies.

As far as acoustics go, I just love the MIJ Taks. Nobody else gives you as much guitar for the money. When I got my EF75 I could have gone with anything and I looked at Martin, Gibson, Taylor, and a few small boutique builders, but the Tak just won every comparison, both in hand and on paper. With any of the big 3 I would have gotten a regular production run guitar, nice but not really special. With the Tak I got a handcrafted instrument made by their master luthiers and 1 of only 40 that made it to the USA. I’ve already been offered more than I paid for it several times.

More than anything my guitars are a reflection of my artistic tastes. I don’t have anything else in my world that fills that space, and it needed to be filled at this point in my life to keep the creative fire alive. I may or may not ever be able to play them as well as I’d like, but that’s not really the point. My dreams are very important to me and my guitars are keeping them alive :)

Back