Resale value

While that sounds like sound advice GuitarDrummer that isn't always an option.

In my case I live in a small southwest Kansas city that doesn't have a music store. It would be a 2 1/2 hour drive to get to one where I could just pick a Gibson/Fender/PRS off the shelf and try first. I also work at the local hospital where being on call keeps me within 15 minutes of the hospital at all times. Basically, trying before I buy just isn't an option.

Now, I own 10 guitars and have had 6 Gibson Les Paul's all bought online. Every one has been great. Call me lucky but not a bad one in the bunch. From a 1973 LP Deluxe, 2006 & 2007 LP Premium Plus's, 2014 120th, 2016 Traditional and a 2005 LP Supreme. All were excellent guitars. Never bought a PRS yet by sight only.

The best PRS Core values I've seen trolling Reverb are 2000-2010 models, especially the "hollow bird" ones from 2007-2008. Other than perhaps a general cold shoulder to the hollow bird aesthetics, there is literally no sane reason why these instruments are going for the prices they are.

I have a 2008 PRS Hollowbody II like the one that Fretted Americana is offering. After meeting Paul at Guitar Center on Long Island, I wanted to check out his product line. After spending over $20K (which is small in terms of his catalog) on a handful of PRS guitars, I am pleased to say that the value of the entire collection is probably > 75% of the purchase price, mostly due to the hollowbody. Around 2015, I was contemplating selling the guitar based on quick another one in my state sold for on ebay. Due to lethargy and procrastination, I never listed it for auction. Thus, I believe the resale price of these guitars is high due to the reluctance of owners to sell. All the new (wealthy) owners after 2009 are looking for models like it to complete their collections.

I cannot get over the cost of a new wood library or ten top guitar. Does anyone else feel the same?

I cannot get over the cost of a new wood library or ten top guitar. Does anyone else feel the same?

Yeah, but I can’t get over the cost of most things these days. Compared to furniture, appliances, automobiles, health care, and salad... I at least I can see the value, workmanship, and materials in guitars.

TV’s on the other hand... sh!t, those are cheap AF.

I literally paid a guy to paint my house, inside that is, for the cost of a Wood Library. I mean really? I measure everything with the cost of PRS guitars. I feel like I am gambling/negotiating with myself. One Private Stock = 1/2 car. I will see your private stock and call you with 2 Wood Libraries for your Air Conditioner in your house plus a pool. LOL

I literally paid a guy to paint my house, inside that is, for the cost of a Wood Library. I mean really? I measure everything with the cost of PRS guitars. I feel like I am gambling/negotiating with myself. One Private Stock = 1/2 car. I will see your private stock and call you with 2 Wood Libraries for your Air Conditioner in your house plus a pool. LOL

Oh, I lost my f@cking mind when we rehabbed my mom’s townhouse after she died. Everything I looked at I equated to a PRS: POS “stainless steel” fridge (that’s rusty two years later)=Santana, pressboard bathroom vanity=S2 Custom 22 Hollowbody, Crap & Barrel sofa = Used Artist III, Hot water heater = DGT... and the stuff is all garbage!

I eventually got so stressed out I had @jfb deliver a Mark V head that I straight up hid in a black garbage bag in my basement until construction was done. :p

Don’t get me started. Mrs. B decided - in mid March - that we were going to demo one bathroom/rebuild and replace the vanity in another. That cost a Wood Library and a used HXDA. *sigh*

I like the PRS to home improvement formula you guys worked out. I’m holding off on buying hardwood flooring for my music room because I’m saving up for a Singlecut. They are about the same amount of money.

So, using your formula helped me to arrive at the obvious question: which would I rather save up for? I told my wife that I’m going to need a big oriental rug for in there for the time being. ;)

This
budget-home-remodel-living-room-retina_retina_507bc28c777081e587b95c2831605f15.jpg

Or

This
Dragon.jpg

35th-Anniversary-Dragon_e.jpg

I must be doing it wrong. I’m spending on the house so I don’t have money left to buy more guitars I don’t have any place to put. Why put an S2 594 into a door when I can put a Westie into it?

$1500 sounds like it should be a nice enough door... but then again, my townhouse is kinda crappy (although I do love it).

But... I just talked to a friend who knows I used to do handyman work, and he called me to talk about prices on an entryway door for his garage. Dude told me that they want $800 just to hang the door! Price of the door not included.

I remember $500 being about what it’d cost for a legit subcontractor from Home Depot to hang an exterior door, and I thought I was making out like a bandit charging $300, so maybe it’s $800 now but... sheesh! It’s like, half a days work (at most) at a leisurely pace for one guy to hang a door and replace the brick molding.

$1500 sounds like it should be a nice enough door... but then again, my townhouse is kinda crappy (although I do love it).
I’m putting in a door 42” wide, because I’m thinking of buying something that I will want to get through the door from time to time. And Mrs wants pretty glass in it.

If any of you follow retirement planning or the like, their is sort of a prediction called the rule of 7. Basically, your investment doubles in the stock market/mutual funds every 7 years or so. It seems as though PRS guitars have gone up not quite double the past 8 years or so. Sure, it all depends ion the model and the deal you get, however, I just can't keep buying new guitars as it is literally becoming cost prohibitive. Yes, I suppose I could buy and S2. But nah. LOL Anyone want to trade? I have an extra kidney just laying around!!!! I will even throw in a back rub....... sigh. I hit a new low. Ok, it isn't new, but still, a low.!!!

Back