Requesting help with minor cosmetic repair on S2 Satin

Robert Corrington

I bought a used PRS S2 Standard 22 Satin in Charcoal. It has two “crushed” spots in the finish where the underlying mahogany is shining through.

Any recommendations on how to make repairs?

I’m considering trying the black ColorTone Liquid Stain from StewMac to blacken the wood, but what do I use for the finish? The S2 Satin finish seems non-standard (e.g., no traditional Poly or Nitro). Thoughts?

Thanks,

Robert

Sorry to be a downer, but I wouldn’t even bother trying. Reason is, the satin S2 finish is very thin, and will relic/wear to the point where your current dings will just blend into the mosaic of “love” marks. Plus, your attempt to repair would probably cause you to wear through the finish around the repair.

Don’l let it bother you though, the Satins look killer when they start to show some wear. Rock n roll.

google steaming out dents in guitars on youtube, it could improve the profile by raising the crushed grain

the satin is a thin older nitro type which characteristically wears, I kinda like that, but I guess you could darken that area with something matt and dark to mask it. These aren't grain filled and coloured, so it doesn't need to be smooth and perfectly finished.

In the first photo, there is an obvious dent in the body, which as @pac90 quite rightly says, could be steamed out.

However (and that’s just a fancy but), I believe the finish should be removed around the dent to allow the steam to permeate into the wood and allow it to return to shape.

You may be able to buy a can of black nitro lacquer to re-finish. And that’s a skill in itself.

If you have no experience in doing this, it might be advisable to find a local luthier. If you are going to attempt it yourself, do lots internet/YouTube research and do a practice spray on a scrap piece to compare to the original finish.

And you can always leave it alone.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:
It's honest wear. Put a few more of them and some arm rest wear on it through a few hundred hours of serious jamming and they will be badges of honor!

I love the look of the Standards Satins...

Sorry to be a downer, but I wouldn’t even bother trying. Reason is, the satin S2 finish is very thin, and will relic/wear to the point where your current dings will just blend into the mosaic of “love” marks. Plus, your attempt to repair would probably cause you to wear through the finish around the repair.

Don’l let it bother you though, the Satins look killer when they start to show some wear. Rock n roll.

Yep that's part of what you get with that super thin nitro finish. They will all wear and gain patina with play time.

Back