Replacing tuners on SE Custom

Hi all,
I am thinking of putting PRS locking tuners on my SE Custom 24 (pictured) but I was told by someone from my local music shop that I would need to drill new holes in the headstock. Does anyone know if this is the case and if not can I fit Phase II or III locking machine heads into my guitar?
Thanks
401419_422872164426865_286539044_n.jpg

http://guitarvaultusa.com/news/mann...cking-tuners-for-prs-se-guitars/#.WiFDIWlOnqA

SE drop in tuners

So i just bought Graphtech Ratio tuners, and it's a fit! They have templates which they call Invisomatch and it will perfectly fit PRS SE's. Cheers to tuning stability!

I have Hipshot open back locking tuners on 5 SE's, all with the UMP mounting plates. They have an 18 to 1 tuning ratio, which is more exact than most tuners, In addition they're both inexpensive and American made. They take about 20 minutes to install.

Last edited:
I have Hipshot open back locking tuners on 6 SE's, all with the UMP mounting plates. /they have an 18 to 1 tuning ratio, which is more exact than most tuners, In addition they're both inexpensive and American made. They take about 20 minutes to install.

Can you link to the specific set that are drop-ins for the SEs?

I would also love to see how the Hipshot universal mounting plates look on the back of a SE.

I had not previously heard about the Graph Tech Ratio tuners, but they look pretty cool, though a bit pricey. I dig the "Invisomatch" thing. Love the innovations coming forth recently.

Can you link to the specific set that are drop-ins for the SEs?
Sorry, I'm operating off a first generation iPad right now. I can email you a picture to post, John. Victek, just go on the bay and search Hipshot tuners- PRS. It'll pop right up.

Hey everyone, I just got a Holcomb and want to replace the nut as well as the tuning machines. I'm fairly sure I need the Graph Tech Black TUSQ Nut 6 Stg Electric Nut 43 x 6 ... and for the tuners, the Schaller M6 3x3. I'm a little confused about what's the proper part? I saw on Musician's Friend they have Schaller M6A 3x3, and their chat representative said the M6A model number is the same item as the M6, only it's for the 3x3 headstock instead of 6-on-1. Is that accurate? I don't see it called M6A anywhere else. I also know there is a version called M6 Mini. Which one do I want to buy, exactly? I don't want to have to drill any new holes in the headstock to make the fit. I want a simple drop-in.

I am thinking what I need are the following on StewMac:

Schaller M-6 3+3 Guitar Machines
Black
Item # 0643-B

Where else can I possibly get these? Is it "important" to get them in black for the Holcomb, will they look out of place in the cheaper & easier to get chrome color?

Thanks for any help in making sure I buy the right parts...

Yeah I'm interested in this as well. I have a Mark Holcomb on the way and want to add locking tuners and I'd prefer direct drop in replacements instead of drilling and using something like the Hipshot UMP plate as it leaves the old screw holes visible.

Shaller M6 Locking, or Schaller M6 non locking. No drilling or any new screw holes needed!

Back of my Mushok SE Baritone headstock:

DSC00571.jpg
Very nice. I have a Mike Mashook Baritone as well I'd like to add locking tuner to. Quick question what gauge strings do you use? The Warmoth Site says that these Schaller M6 locking tuners aren't compatible with baritone strings.. Thanks.

Very nice. I have a Mike Mashook Baritone as well I'd like to add locking tuner to. Quick question what gauge strings do you use? The Warmoth Site says that these Schaller M6 locking tuners aren't compatible with baritone strings.. Thanks.

Went back to my PRS Branded ones as i found that they were neck diving the guitar. As for the tuners, i modified the E & A tuners to accept a larger string gauge, one that could accept the standard/stock gauge strings.

I put Gibson Deluxe tuners on my Custom 22 CE semi hollow
MY luthier had to drill new holes, but they are not visible

Back