Replacing Chassis Straps

cboisits

Hello my fellow PRS friends. I bought a used Mesa Rectoverb 50 Series 2 and I want to replace the chassis straps because they show some wear and I want them to look shiny. What are chassis straps for? Are they easy to replace? I am thinking that the chassis straps hold the chassis suspended up against the ceiling of the amp. Is this somewhat dangerous because it holds in the chassis? Thanks in advance for your help.
Christian

Hello my fellow PRS friends. I bought a used Mesa Rectoverb 50 Series 2 and I want to replace the chassis straps because they show some wear and I want them to look shiny. What are chassis straps for? Are they easy to replace? I am thinking that the chassis straps hold the chassis suspended up against the ceiling of the amp. Is this somewhat dangerous because it holds in the chassis? Thanks in advance for your help.
Christian
A set of chassis straps are used to make sure that the bolt heads holding the chassis to the top of the amplifier don’t pull through the wood by spreading the load over a larger surface. You can buff them, like any chromed metal, with a polish to return the shine. There are usually wood pieces that form a shelf below the chassis to keep it from falling too far if these bolts are removed. Remember that these bolts go through an electrical compartment, so the amp should be unplugged and powered down before poking these long metal pieces through there. The strap sets are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace.

You can see them on top of the amp below. Fender used them on a lot of their amps. Boogie has other suspension methods, as well. Hope that is helpful.

spf6jqxighzbw35jskhj.jpg

Last edited:
A set of chassis straps are used to make sure that the bolt heads holding the chassis to the top of the amplifier don’t pull through the wood by spreading the load over a larger surface. You can buff them, like any chromed metal, with a polish to return the shine. There are usually wood pieces that form a shelf below the chassis to keep it from falling too far if these bolts are removed. Remember that these bolts go through an electrical compartment, so the amp should be unplugged and powered down before poking these long metal pieces through there. The strap sets are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace.

You can see them on top of the amp below. Fender used them on a lot of their amps. Boogie has other suspension methods, as well. Hope that is helpful.

spf6jqxighzbw35jskhj.jpg

now tell em what those stupid tilt legs on old fenders are for.

now tell em what those stupid tilt legs on old fenders are for.
To tear up the seats in your car when loading the amp without a cover. ;)

Truthfully, I like those things once they’re actually in use. Good for sparing your front row a decapitation on short stages. I still have them on my old Super Reverb!

Last edited:
Back