Replacing 85/15s with HFS/VB in a Custom 24

JJDon

I have two Custom 24s that both have 85/15s. One has the newer 85/15 TCIs and I plan to keep those in. The other Custom 24 is an older, 2015 30th Anniversary model and I feel like changing the pickups up for some variety and because the 85/15s don't have a ton of clarity or output regarding 80s/90s rock/metal. I'm thinking of replacing them with the HFS/VB. Thoughts? I know these are a love them or hate them pickup on a lot of sites, but from what I've heard of them in clips, they sound pretty good. Are they similar to any other pickups out there?

Agree a lot people love them. I had them in one of my 24's and I couldn't flip them fast enough. I like bounce and fast attack and these are nothing like it. For my application HFS/VB was a dull station. 59/09 did the trick in this guitar. I have 85/15TCI in my other guitar and after initial shock to the system I cannot speak highly enough about this set. Took me a little time finding perfect hight but once I dialled them in I'm happier with what I hear than I ever was

It depends on your target tone and genre. Some people can make them do anything, but I’m not one of them. Fought the HFS/VBs for years until I started the swap fest. Then I think, “maybe I should give them another chance?” For the umteenth time.

There’s a 59/09 in my bridge and an empty cavity in the neck, right now. Love the the 59/09 but I just haven’t found a good match for the neck yet (yes, I know…what about a 59/09?). I suggest trying everything you think would work, but don’t forget to mess with pickup height and zeroing out your amp tone stack and starting from scratch.

It depends on your target tone and genre. Some people can make them do anything, but I’m not one of them. Fought the HFS/VBs for years until I started the swap fest. Then I think, “maybe I should give them another chance?” For the umteenth time.

There’s a 59/09 in my bridge and an empty cavity in the neck, right now. Love the the 59/09 but I just haven’t found a good match for the neck yet (yes, I know…what about a 59/09?). I suggest trying everything you think would work, but don’t forget to mess with pickup height and zeroing out your amp tone stack and starting from scratch.

See, for me I think neck 59/09 is the best neck pickup PRS makes. Great presence with a lot of body, no mud at all and it splits like a dream. 85/15 bridge and 59/09 neck would be my fav combo. I like 59/09 bridge enough but I often thinking to try Tremonti bridge with this particular guitar

My experience was that both the 85/15s and the HFS/VB weren’t great. I have the TCIs in a SE24 35th anniversary and like them. But then again I was comparing them some pretty pricey aftermarket pickups.

The HFS/VBs are a polarizing set. I adore them in my '06 Cu24AP with 5-way rotary. They get a range of tones I could never get in other 24s with different set-ups, and while their output is up there, I've found that with the right tweaks on both sides, they can be quite nuanced and expressive while always delivering a solid wallop. In that guitar at least, I'd never consider swapping them out.

Have you thought about a 57/08? It's a combo I've been wanting to try myself.

I had an early set of 57/08s in this guitar and didn’t like them. :eek: I know, I’m a heretic, but my set sounded unlike so many others I’d played before, so out they came and were sold. I would consider either the 57/08 or 59/09. Just have to pry open the wallet and drop some coin.

Back