Replacement tuners for winged shared d&g

archey

I accidentally posted this same thread in general discussion. I figure I will have better luck getting a response here...
I'm looking for a drop in replacement for the winged tuners on my '90. I really don't want the schaller m6's as they only have a 12:1 gear ratio. Besides modified phase ii's does anyone have an idea on what fits the same footprint of the PRS tuners?

Yes, there is one option I've found and used. Look for Schaller model 7502 or 7502A. Those are a drop in fit and work fine. Keep in mind, however, that you or your tech will need to file down the mounting holes for the shared screw on the D and G tuners. PRS used to do this themselves. FYI, I see plenty of these on Amazon at the moment.

Izzy

Hi Izzy,
Thanks for your reply. I'm in the same boat as archey. I'm definitely going to get some 7502's soon. Some clarifying questions-- you said, "you will need to file down the mounting holes for the shared screw on the D and G tuners."

Are you talking about filing the holes on the D and G tuners? Filing them how, exactly? To make the holes themselves wider? Or do you mean across the top of the hole, to make the metal thinner where the D and G tuners will overlap?

Or are you talking about filing the headstock wood where the shared hole is?

Thanks for any additional guidance you can offer,
Tim

Hi Izzy,
Thanks for your reply. I'm in the same boat as archey. I'm definitely going to get some 7502's soon. Some clarifying questions-- you said, "you will need to file down the mounting holes for the shared screw on the D and G tuners."

Are you talking about filing the holes on the D and G tuners? Filing them how, exactly? To make the holes themselves wider? Or do you mean across the top of the hole, to make the metal thinner where the D and G tuners will overlap?

Or are you talking about filing the headstock wood where the shared hole is?

Thanks for any additional guidance you can offer,
Tim
He's talking about how the G and D tuners uses the same hole on the back of the neck to mount the tuners. You'll need to file down the bracket on each of those tuners to allow them to be mounted with one screw in the shared hole. Here's a pick I found that shows it.
prs89studio-blue-5788-3.jpg

Ah! Thanks, bodia! Got it!
Super helpful. This forum is awesome! Thanks for all the help!

Originally posted by Shawn Nuthall in December of 2012...

"Scotty B from the PTC devised a way to reconstruct your original shared D & G tuners using a set of Phase II shafts and gears. This allows you to keep the same tuner footprint on your older PRS guitar without drilling new holes, but also offers the performance and function of the Phase II tuners. Currently these tuners are only available through the PTC."

Originally posted by Shawn Nuthall in December of 2012...

"Scotty B from the PTC devised a way to reconstruct your original shared D & G tuners using a set of Phase II shafts and gears. This allows you to keep the same tuner footprint on your older PRS guitar without drilling new holes, but also offers the performance and function of the Phase II tuners. Currently these tuners are only available through the PTC."

The SWARP foundation has been working tirelessly to abolish this cruel and unreasonable practice. I urge everyone to think what the world would be like without wings.

This also looks like a viable option. No extra holes drilled, and a higher ratio locking tuner.

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/content/view/ump.html

The only problem with the UMP is it puts the tuners at a wonky angle in relation to the headstock, since it puts the keys in a straight line. They are fantastic tuners, however.

I would guess the PTC mod is the way to go. You could use just about any keys with 10mm shaft, but that would generally mean drilling new mounting holes (if you don't go the Hipshot route).

Of course the real question is, why do you want to replace the originals?

I didn't post the question but I can understand wanting to replace the winged tuners. Mine have gotten quite sloppy over the years on a couple of my guitars. That and I have a particular set that won't allow any strings bigger than 9's. They just don't fit.

I want to replace them because they are starting to slip the b and e strings. I would also like a higher gear ratio.

The only problem with the UMP is it puts the tuners at a wonky angle in relation to the headstock, since it puts the keys in a straight line. They are fantastic tuners, however.

I would guess the PTC mod is the way to go. You could use just about any keys with 10mm shaft, but that would generally mean drilling new mounting holes (if you don't go the Hipshot route).

Of course the real question is, why do you want to replace the originals?

I know exactly why he wants to replace wing tuners.

Thanks toothace, but the Phase 1 tuners have been backordered for as long as I have been checking.

Thanks toothace, but the Phase 1 tuners have been backordered for as long as I have been checking.

Just holler at John, sometimes (most of he time :p ) the website says stuff is backordered when he actually has 'em in stock. In fact he has just started making wings!!

Update.

Reviving an old thread

These look like an option as well. Schaller M6 locking 180. I can't find them in the US. I may order directly from Schaller.

http://guitar-parts.biz/hp554970/M6-180-TopLocking-55.htm

I ordered these from Schaller. Nice tuners but the shaft is not long enough to get through my 88 headstock. They were a direct fit otherwise.
Don't waste your time (and $150). I guess I'll go the John Mann route. I wanted to keep my originals intact for historic purposes. Kind of like keeping that vintage radio that never tuned very well and shocked you.

Back