Replacement Nut

Don't know about the nuts used on the core models, but I ordered the same string nut set from the PRS website as in your link awhile back when I was replacing the nut on my SE Custom 24. Didn't like the fit, there was a narrow gap in the slot for the nut and the nut itself, the stock nut is thicker than the string nuts I received from PRS, at least on mine it is.

Decided on a black TUSQ XL (PT-6643-00) instead and it's a perfect fit other than having to sand the bottom to get the nut action correct. Tuning is solid, great intonation and open chords sound clean and crisp with NYXL 10-46 strings.

Reactions: RVA
I have both nuts on various guitars. depending on the color of the guitar, my luthier just runs a magic eraser marker in the space to hide the very small (about 1 mm) gap. the PRS nut is slightly more shallow. IMHO, the PRS nut works better with tremolos, and it doesn`t make much difference on stop tails. At a recent seminar, Paul told us that his nut is proprietary, and that he uses brass dust in the composition of the material.

Yes, that is the core nut. It probably doesn't fit an SE because they (core and SE guitars) are made entirely differently, and this one is precut for a core. I have a core nut on one of my 24/7s, but I had it cut and installed by the PTC, and it came out perfectly. You could probably talk to the PTC to get one cut for the SE (it'll be significantly more, I would think), if it's something you think you could install yourself, but don't quote me on that, they may only do that if they do the installation work.

It is worth it, though, IMHO.

And of course you could adopt the one you're looking at to the SE, I would think it would only require either sanding or a shim. (Hopefully not both.) That'll probably be the cheapest option, and the important side (the strings) will be fine, so if you're up to it, that'd be the way to go, I'd think.

Don't know about the nuts used on the core models, but I ordered the same string nut set from the PRS website as in your link awhile back when I was replacing the nut on my SE Custom 24. Didn't like the fit, there was a narrow gap in the slot for the nut and the nut itself, the stock nut is thicker than the string nuts I received from PRS, at least on mine it is.

Decided on a black TUSQ XL (PT-6643-00) instead and it's a perfect fit other than having to sand the bottom to get the nut action correct. Tuning is solid, great intonation and open chords sound clean and crisp with NYXL 10-46 strings.

Sounds like I just need to order the Tusq. Will probably go ahead and get that on the way then. Thanks guys

AFAIK there is no issue putting a "core" nut on an SE, as long as you get the right width. All nuts have to be sanded down prior to installation.

I've got the Core nut on an SE Bernie and an SE One. Love them!
Same here...SE One was a breeze. I had to do some glue clean-out before installing the new one, and some sanding/shaping to reduce the top corner sharpness, but it was easy. Regardless of nut, there's always some massaging needed to make it perfect.

Hi everybody, I’m new to the forum. I need your input. I bought a brand new PRS Santana SE in Egyptian Gold. I LOVE the tone on this guitar. I have a lot of high end guitars (Ernie Ball Luke with Transition p/u’s, YJM American Strat, Ibanez Jem, Les Paul Tradional, blue ESP Lynch Kamikazee, Washburn Michael Sweet etc.) played through a Kemper and various amps. Long story short, the pickups on this guitar just sound and breathe different. At first it took some getting used to but I won’t put it down.
I do however have a concern regarding tuning stability because after two songs, I need to re-tune and God forbid I start doing massive bends.
My question is, will the Core or Tusq fit this Santanan SE model? Do you recommend any other for the better? I really appreciate your help.

Last edited:
Hi everybody, I’m new to the forum. I need tour input. I bought a brand new PRS Santana SE in Egyptian Gold. I LOVE the tone on this guitar. I have a lot of high end guitars (Ernie Ball Luke with Transition p/u’s, YJM American Strat, Ibanez Jem, Les Paul Tradional, blue ESP Lynch Kamikazee, Washburn Michael Sweet etc.) played through a Kemper and various amps. Long story short, the pockups on this guitar just sound and breathe different. At first it took some getting used to but I won’t put it down.
I do however have a concern regarding tuning stability because after two songs, I need to re-tune and Gid forbid I start doing massive bends.
My question is, will the Core or Tusq fit this Santanan SE model? Do you recommend any other for the better? I really appreciate your help.
Core nut. Direct drop in. You won’t have to do anything to it. Plus, they are self lubricating (infused with a bronze powder).

Thank you brother, much appreciated. Do you know exactly where I can purchase one? I’ve looked around and I’ve seen these black PRS nuts for sale but I’m not sure if they’re the Core since they are not listed a such.

Last edited:
Yes those are the ones I saw it just doesn’t say they are “Core”…so I assume the ones that are sold by PRS are known as “Core” then….It just strikes me as weird because you would think PRS would promote it like “bodia” wrote on here: “self lubricating (infused with a bronze powder)” cause I read that and said wow while making that face Grogu makes when he’s in shock.

Yes those are the ones I saw it just doesn’t say they are “Core”…so I assume the ones that are sold by PRS are known as “Core” then….It just strikes me as weird because you would think PRS would promote it like “bodia” wrote on here: “self lubricating (infused with a bronze powder)” cause I read that and said wow while making that face Grogu makes when he’s in shock.
Sounds adorable.

Back