Replacement locking tuners for 1993 CE 24

TFC

That guitar really tied the room together
I'm thinking about replacing the Phase I winged tuners in my 1993 CE 24 with Phase IIs, but the core Phase IIs are hard to come by these days. Does anyone know if the S2 locking tuners will fit into a 1993 CE 24? I don't mind drilling new holes for the mounting screws, but do not want to modify the holes for the tuner shafts.

Thanks!

Here are my CE-24s. The guitar in need of tuners is the black one.

my_prs_zpsxciwlq3c.jpg

Yup. Try John Mann guitar vault first.

I've done this mod myself on 3 of my prs guitars. It's my understanding that if yours has the D and G tuners sharing the mounting screw on the back then the ph2 tuners will drop right in. You will still need to drill small holes for the mounting screws on the back.

I don't mind doing this on insignificant guitars but I have an 89 cu24 with the wing tuners. Not touching this one.

Check your PMs

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I've checked John Mann's site but didn't see any S2 or core Phase II tuners. It looks like he's got Schaller's that he's modified in the style of Phase IIs. That's an option too, but if the S2s fit, then I'd rather try those first.

I've done this mod myself on 3 of my prs guitars. It's my understanding that if yours has the D and G tuners sharing the mounting screw on the back then the ph2 tuners will drop right in. You will still need to drill small holes for the mounting screws on the back.

To clarify, when you say the "ph2 tuners will fit right in", are you referring to the S2 tuners available on the PRS site, or the old Phase IIs which are no longer available on the PRS site?

My CE 24 does have the shared D & G screw. I've done this once before (winged --> Phase IIs), and yes, the Phase IIs dropped right in. The extra holes in the back of the head stock were not a problem for me.

I guess another way to phrase my question is are the S2 locking tuners the same dimensions as the old Phase II locking tuners?

I'll have to look for myself but I can't imagine John doesn't have pH2 lockers for sale.

The last set of brass post ph2s I got came from GC in Des Moines. They were hanging on their parts wall and I got them discounted a bunch. They had been hanging there awhile.

Maybe check with GC in your area. Most of the GC stores don't carry core prs guitars anymore so you might stumble on a set for reasonable.

The ph2 tuners require a small mounting screw hole be drilled on the back side and and that's it but your wings have to be the ones that D and G share a screw.

And I am not referring to the s2 tuners. I did have a set off of a new ce24 but they are different yet and may work but I can't say for sure.

The new ce24 tuners don't use a screw for the back but they do gave a pin so if they do work you will still need to drill a hole for the pin.

The new ce24 tuners don't use a screw for the back but they do gave a pin so if they do work you will still need to drill a hole for the pin.

Good info, thanks.

Anyone have first-hand experience dropping in S2 tuners into older core guitars? I may also send an email to PRS tech.

I don't mind the wings. It's the tuner itself that I don't like. There is too much play in the tuner so it is hard to tune accurately and quickly. I ended up getting John Mann's version of the Phase II tuners (modified Schaller M6).

I will probably take the old Phase I tuners, wrap them in an American flag, and burn them. In a church. ;)

Happy Holidays everyone & thanks for the help!

I should add that the S2 Locking Tuners for sale on the PRS site will fit into the holes in the headstock, but you'll have to drill a hole for the peg in each of the tuners.

Back