Replaced Wrap Tailpiece with Adjustable on an 19 yr old PRS

88prs

OCD for PRS
So I replaced the wrap tailpiece with an adjustable one on a 19 yr old PRS Custom 22. I purchased from an authorized dealer ($199!) when I installed in it leaned forward 10-15 degrees so I wasn't impressed with the stud to bridge fit. It made my guitar much brighter and harsh in the mid-range. Guess I was bumbed so I sent it back and put the stock one back on and the awesome sound returned....

So how come the PRS's I play in the store sound so great with these bridges,,, weird.

Yes, replaced everything. was surprised it was leaning

I keep toying with the idea of replacing the fixed bridge on my '98 McCarty. Honestly, it's fine the way that it is and I have zero issues with it.

I figure that if Paul wanted it to be adjustable, he would have designed it that way. Leaving well enough alone.

The old school tail pieces are adjustable, just not for individual strings.

I replaced one with the individually adjustable saddles. No problem with the fit, no significant change in tone.

2006 SC

I bought my Hollowbody Spruce used. Previous owner had put an adjustable bridge on it. Works and sounds great!

I replaced mine with the Schroeder adjustable stop tail piece. I think the sound is even better than the PRS wraptail. Personally, I like the look of this bridge, but he makes a flat back one as well. Another great feature is the locking top posts. It means ZERO lean, the bridge won't move with the strings off, and it channels the string vibrations into the guitar very well.

I tried out one of the PRS adjustable bridges. Returned it. Really saw no change in tone or intonation. I think they look a bit busy (particularly with the brass colored saddles) and there is something elegant and artful about the old one-piece stoptail. I went back to stock too. File under unnecessary "upgrade".

There are only two reasons I can think of to use the adjustable stoptail:
1. You play in alternate tunings.
2. You use a weird string gauge combination.

If you don't do this, then the adjustability buys you nothing. The original stoptail is precisely designed and machined to intonate each string properly in standard tunings with the most common string gauges. There isn't enough variation in the construction of a PRS to require individual saddle adjustability. Fewer moving parts in the bridge means a greater transfer of vibration between the string and the body, so there *is* a tradeoff for that adjustability. When you think about how acoustic guitars are constructed, this all makes perfect sense. If you regularly play alternate tunings, then the adjustable bridge might be worth it, but for my money, the single-piece stoptail is where it's at.

Back