Replace "vintage" tuners.

evan47

I have a very nice mccarty 10 top, 2007 model and am looking to replace the vintage style tuners with a set of locking tuners but do not want to do any drilling to make them fit.
Are any of the PRS locking tuners direct replacements for the vintage items?

John Mann guitar vault has direct drop in kluson style tuners that work.

I put them on my McCarty and I love them.
PM me a cell number or email and I'll send pics

John Mann guitar vault has direct drop in kluson style tuners that work.

I put them on my McCarty and I love them.
PM me a cell number or email and I'll send pics
Thanks.
I have just had a look at his website and they are exactly what I am looking for apart from the chrome version being out of stock ATM.

He also has a service where he will modify your existing tuners

Nice, but as I live in the UK the turnaround would be too long.
I will keep an eye on things and, when the chrome fish tuners are in stock will likely order them.
With sales tax and import costs they will be pretty expensive but, as it is a one off expense I think it will be worth it.

Gotoh SD-90s or PRS Phase III tuners may fit. On my Bernie, the screw holes lined up perfectly for both. I reamed the holes for the bushings to 10mm to insert the Phase III bushings, but someone on this forum has Phase IIIs installed with the regular PRS SE bushings.

I preferred the look of the Gotohs and reinstalled them last night. The Phase IIIs are much nicer in that everything seems to be built to tighter tolerances using better materials. That being said, I never had tuning issues with either set of tuners.

Considering that I have a SE, and I am not sure what tuners are on the McCarty, you would need to find their dimensions (or measure them yourself), and then compare them to the Gotoh website using the SD-90 measurements. If they are the same, then odds are either the Gotohs or Phase IIIs will work.

Thanks.
I have just had a look at his website and they are exactly what I am looking for apart from the chrome version being out of stock ATM.

Give him a call or send him a message - he makes stuff like this in his shop all the time, he may be able to make a set for you or may even have a set ready that just isn’t on his website yet.

Gotoh SD-90s or PRS Phase III tuners may fit. On my Bernie, the screw holes lined up perfectly for both. I reamed the holes for the bushings to 10mm to insert the Phase III bushings, but someone on this forum has Phase IIIs installed with the regular PRS SE bushings.

I preferred the look of the Gotohs and reinstalled them last night. The Phase IIIs are much nicer in that everything seems to be built to tighter tolerances using better materials. That being said, I never had tuning issues with either set of tuners.

Considering that I have a SE, and I am not sure what tuners are on the McCarty, you would need to find their dimensions (or measure them yourself), and then compare them to the Gotoh website using the SD-90 measurements. If they are the same, then odds are either the Gotohs or Phase IIIs will work.

Yes.I have had a look at the Gotoh SD90 set and they look great but there is no guarantee that they will be a drop in replacement and may require a little modification to my guitar which I am wary of.
Shame really as they are less than half the price of the Mann version.

Do not forget that McCartys and original Singlecuts have thinner headstocks front to back.
Check all measurements. :D

Do not forget that McCartys and original Singlecuts have thinner headstocks front to back.
Check all measurements. :D
Is that for all years of McCarty production or just the earlier pre 2005 thicker body models?

Is that for all years of McCarty production or just the earlier pre 2005 thicker body models?
Not too sure. It all about the front to back thickness of the headstock.
Just make sure you get the correct length to fit your headstock.

Back