Replace the volume knob for a 3 way switch?

EduLuke

I will try to explain...

I have a CU24 that I love, but I hate the position of it's 5 way switch.
I can't switch pick ups fast enough like I do on a LP or Strat... the Tremolo bar is always on the way.

Before asking a Luthier... I was wondering if I anyone ever messed with the knobs like:

- Volume replaced by a 3 way pick up switch.
- 5 way switch configured only as pick up splits.
- Tone Know (which I never use) replaced by Volume.

Possible?

It’s one of my main dislikes with certain models as well and to me one of the main benefits of the CU 22/24 Piezo over the non-piezo models. The Piezo models have their 5 way switch much further forward and not in the way of the tremolo like the non-piezo models have. I had a 408 that I sold for that reason and got a Signature Limited which is basically the same version of guitar except it has a McCarty style 3 way switch instead. My Cu22 Piezo is now my only PRS with a 5 way blade.

You can make that change, but I think it'll be clunky. There's no shortage of supply, so I'd look for an older CU24 with the three hole layout. Alternatively, dealers sometimes do Wood Library runs with the older layout, so you may find something newer. Another option is the new 35th Anniversary CU24.

I don't like the switch location either, which is why I let go of an otherwise excellent CU22.

Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot. If it gets bizarre, I can turn back to original set up.

Back