Votes: 2 66.7%
  • put the gates in the LP and i suggest a pup set below for the prs se semi

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tonedover

hi all
i need some help making an informed decision

about 3 months ago i bought a PRS SE 2015 Custom 22 Semi Hollow in Tobacco Sunburst with STOPTAIL (yes!) love thewide thin neck, body size, etc. BUT, the tone im getting just isnt for me. it has the 85/15 S set supposedly

i feel its not clear enough, i want an articulate pup set.

here is my dilemma. i just bought some pearly gates for my Les Paul Studio and will pull the Burstbucker Pros out,

would the burstbucker pros from the LP go well in the PRS se semi hollow?

I am a big fan of the bare knuckle stormy Mondays. I have them in a SE Custom 24. I didn’t love the 85/15s in that guitar. I recently played a the SE semi hollow, I really kinda want one. I liked the way the stock pickups sounded, but I bet I would end up putting either BK Stormy Mondays or Mules in it.

I really think I prefer lower output PAF tones.

I am a big fan of the bare knuckle stormy Mondays. I have them in a SE Custom 24. I didn’t love the 85/15s in that guitar. I recently played a the SE semi hollow, I really kinda want one. I liked the way the stock pickups sounded, but I bet I would end up putting either BK Stormy Mondays or Mules in it.

I really think I prefer lower output PAF tones.

by this thought process would the bbpros from the les paul be too hot in your estimation?

If you don't do it, you'll never know. Since every configuration is reversible, put the Pearly Gates in the SE just for fun, so you'll know if that sound works for you. Then try the pro's and decide whether to leave them there or go buy some unpotted Seth Lover's.

by this thought process would the bbpros from the les paul be too hot in your estimation?
I think this is a very personal preference. Probably even amplifier dependent in regard to how muchclean you like and how much headroom you are afforded by your amp.

I like the 85/15S in my baritone but I think your 2015 Custom 22 would not have those pickups yet.

https://www.prsguitars.com/index.ph...e_models_the_se_custom_22_and_the_se_custom_2

This is the press release for that model from 2015 and it doesn't specifically say 85/15S. I would say those weren't available until probably 2017 or so.

Anyway if it was me and I had the time I might try all 3 sets in both guitars. That's the only way to be sure.

The 2016 catalog states the SE CU22 pickup as "Tone Furnace treble and bass pickups"
and the Semi hollow pickups as "PRS-De-signed Standard treble and bass pickups"

hi all
i need some help making an informed decision

about 3 months ago i bought a PRS SE 2015 Custom 22 Semi Hollow in Tobacco Sunburst with STOPTAIL (yes!) love thewide thin neck, body size, etc. BUT, the tone im getting just isnt for me. it has the 85/15 S set supposedly

i feel its not clear enough, i want an articulate pup set.

here is my dilemma. i just bought some pearly gates for my Les Paul Studio and will pull the Burstbucker Pros out,

would the burstbucker pros from the LP go well in the PRS se semi hollow?

I’m going along with those who don’t think your guitar came with the 85/15s. I have them in all three of my guitars, and they’re astoundingly clear; that’s why I love them.

Reactions: IRG
I’d suggest purchasing a set of 85/15 “S” pickups. They really are good pickups and would be a step up from the original pickups.

I’ve considered the Pearly Gates for my SE Custom 24, but I got such a good price on the BKs I couldn’t pass it up.

I’m going along with those who don’t think your guitar came with the 85/15s. I have them in all three of my guitars, and they’re astoundingly clear; that’s why I love them.
fair enough i havent pulled them and someone on TGP had told me they “could likely be” the S , but its def been outvoted here
1st.... What type of music do you primarily play?
classic to hard rock. occasionally some clean stuff. play through a prri at home with variety of dirt pedals, have a mesa boogie mark iv that was for back when i actually played

fair enough i havent pulled them and someone on TGP had told me they “could likely be” the S , but its def been outvoted here

classic to hard rock. occasionally some clean stuff. play through a prri at home with variety of dirt pedals, have a mesa boogie mark iv that was for back when i actually played
Not sure if you’re looking to buy a new set but I would highly recommend Lindy Fralin pups. Either High Output set or Modern PAF. I’ve used both High output in Santana Retro and Modern PAF in CU24 Found them clear with nice harmonic overtones.

Back