Removing the pickup cover of a 57/08

Ironwolf

I'm a Dog! I do Dog Things!
I have a nickel brushed cover On a 57/08 Bridge pickup.
I think the open coil 57/08 might be an improved tone for me,
Has anyone removed the cover,??
Paul has stated that the cover was never intended to come off and expose the bobbins.
And that the bobbins are ugly.
The open coil that you can buy stock has the new square bobbins.
I suppose you could drop $300 in just buy an open coil off of eBay

Do I dare remove the metal cover what damage would I do
is the guitar too beautiful to mess with.
h0ABFcY.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
h0ABFcY.jpg
[/IMG]
h0ABFcY.jpg

you can remove it but there will be wax on the pickup possibly. Also it will not be a squabbin ( square pickup like the neck in your pick)

A youtube search gives several videos on this...here's a sample

That seems simple enough. seems that You could put it on a damp washcloth to keep that heat off the front of the pickup As well.
I'd really like to see a picture of the actual 57/08 pickup uncovered see if it's horribly ugly.

The easiest way is to do it is to insert a flat-head screwdriver (carefully and not too far) between the cover and the baseplate and twist. The solder will break very easily. Don't do it too hard or too far or else you'll distort the shape of the cover.

I had to take the cover off a 57/08 to repair it. It looks just like any other uncovered PRS pickup or any other brand for that matter.

The easiest way is to do it is to insert a flat-head screwdriver (carefully and not too far) between the cover and the baseplate and twist. The solder will break very easily. Don't do it too hard or too far or else you'll distort the shape of the cover.

I had to take the cover off a 57/08 to repair it. It looks just like any other uncovered PRS pickup or any other brand for that matter.
Excellent, I'm very close to putting an uncovered 59/09 in there.
But considering just exposing the 57 08 because it is an excellent pick up, I just keep seeming to want a little bit more, I keep turning on the boost pedal, I keep turning on the gain stage.
It's good that that option seems very workable thanks.
Got any pictures?

The cover's back on it now, so it looks just like any other 57/08. Underneath the cover, any covered pickup is identical to an uncovered pickup though.

Back