Removing piezo electronics?

Callan

hack guitarist..
Has anybody ever removed the piezo board from a HBii or similar guitar?
I'm thinking of ways to get coil splits in mine without taking out a drill.
I don't use the piezo, so I'm thinking of taking the board out to make room for push/pull knobs.
I may want to reverse this all one day, so looking to do something that can be reversed.

Cheers,

Apparently, if you send it into the PTC, Skitchy (IIRC) has a mod to install push-pull coil splits and keep the piezo, thus increasing (in theory) the value of your guitar, and certainly not decreasing it. But I would bet it isn't a simple $100 fee, either...

Has anybody ever removed the piezo board from a HBii or similar guitar?
I'm thinking of ways to get coil splits in mine without taking out a drill.
I don't use the piezo, so I'm thinking of taking the board out to make room for push/pull knobs.
I may want to reverse this all one day, so looking to do something that can be reversed.

Cheers,

I've seen this done a couple times. Seems to work just fine.

Apparently, if you send it into the PTC, Skitchy (IIRC) has a mod to install push-pull coil splits and keep the piezo, thus increasing (in theory) the value of your guitar, and certainly not decreasing it. But I would bet it isn't a simple $100 fee, either...
I'm a long way from PTC here in Australia :) I wonder if they'd ship the parts?
I wonder if something like the 'Free-way switch' would work? It would give me up to 6 combinations and might do the trick. Easy to reverse as well...
Or maybe I just put the $$ towards the PRS-SC hole in my collection

If you want to split the original pickups, i'd suggest to check if they are splitable. Not all PRS pickups are...
I would also keep the piezo electronics and replace the volume and tone pots with push pulls for independent splits of the bridge and neck pickups.

If you want to split the original pickups, i'd suggest to check if they are splitable. Not all PRS pickups are...
I would also keep the piezo electronics and replace the volume and tone pots with push pulls for independent splits of the bridge and neck pickups.
The originals are 2 wire, but they live in my Les Paul these days (seem like a great pickup for a Solidbody / Singlecut, but didn't work for me in my Hollowbody)
My HBii has BKP Mules in it now, which are 4 wire.

The Piezo HB units have a circuit board in the way, preventing the tone pot from being able to be replaced with a push/pull.
Thus the reason to look at either removing the board, or using some crazy 6 way switch to get the various combinations.

Back