Removal of Phase 1 Mark II Locking Tuners

CollyByrne

Hi all. I have recently had a problem with one of the Phase 1 locking tuners on a 1999 Custom 24. These are the second revision of the winged type locking tuners which do not share a screw between the D and G tuners. I have a 2000 Custom 22 which I am using as a donor guitar to rob a tuner from. My problem is that I am unable to get my 10mm wrench (or spanner as it's called in Ireland!) underneath the "collar" of the locking tuner which sits directly above the nut. I say collar because I don't know what the proper term for this is but anyone who is familiar with these tuning pegs should know what I am talking about.

Could someone who has removed / replaced these tuners in the past please explain how to go about loosening the nut and safely removing the tuner and then re-installing it on the second guitar? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You'll have to dismantle the locking mechanism. First, unscrew the black cap screw on top of the winged collar. Once this is off, you can remove the collar and get access to the nut.

Hope this helps.

You'll have to dismantle the locking mechanism. First, unscrew the black cap screw on top of the winged collar. Once this is off, you can remove the collar and get access to the nut.

Hope this helps.

Hi thanks for getting back to me so quick. I have already removed the thumb screw and the locking "wing" piece. There is however a collar/washer that the locking sits on which is not removable and this is what is preventing me from getting the wrench onto the nut itself. I'll post some pictures of what I'm talking about if its not clear exactly.

What you need to remove is the "E-clip" that the collar sits on. You can remove it with a pair of needle nose pliers by gently yanking on it, or using a flathead screwdriver to get it to pop out of the channel it clips into.

What you need to remove is the "E-clip" that the collar sits on. You can remove it with a pair of needle nose pliers by gently yanking on it, or using a flathead screwdriver to get it to pop out of the channel it clips into.

Listen to the man: he knows the Wings!

Thank you so much this worked a treat. To the untrained eye it appeared that this clip was not removable but sure enough with a little persuasion form a flathead screwdriver it popped right off.

My intention is to replace the full set of tuners on the "donor" Custom 22 with a set of Phase II locking tuners. Am I right in saying these are a direct replacement for the Phase I Mark II's with no drilling or alteration required to the headstock?

Yeah the new Phase IIs will drop right in place no drilling for your guitar, and have a nicer tuning feel to boot.

Speaking of nothing anyone was talking about, I was thinking the other day how cool itd be to have false wing thumbscrews to replace the round slotted thumbscrews on the Phase II tuners.

Back