Relics? I don't get it

I get that you don't get relics. What I don't get is why you have to apply some sort of ulterior motive or call thos who do like them poseurs...

Personally, I love one that's done well. I have 5 Cunetto relics (one Nocaster and 4 Strats). I also have A Danocaster "Keef" tele and a Fender Custom Shop '63 Tele. I also have a Murphy aged '56 Les Paul. The first '56 he ever did. The thin finish, the smooth necks, the rolled fretboard are amazing to play.

I'm not trying to fool anyone...

331987989.jpg

324515349.jpg

324513456.jpg

339572745.jpg

339572748.jpg

Apologies for being new, next time I post something I will read every post on the entire PRS forum so that I don't cause any unnecessary repetition.

BTW, the Fender relics are exceptionally good guitars and clearly there is a big market for relic guitars in general. Each to their own.

Um, yeah... It's not like this hasn't been discussed, to death, all over the guitar boards... ;)

I get that you don't get relics. What I don't get is why you have to apply some sort of ulterior motive or call thos who do like them poseurs...

Personally, I love one that's done well. I have 5 Cunetto relics (one Nocaster and 4 Strats). I also have A Danocaster "Keef" tele and a Fender Custom Shop '63 Tele. I also have a Murphy aged '56 Les Paul. The first '56 he ever did. The thin finish, the smooth necks, the rolled fretboard are amazing to play.

I'm not trying to fool anyone...

331987989.jpg

324515349.jpg

324513456.jpg

339572745.jpg

339572748.jpg

I almost forgot, in addition to olympic white and sonic blue, I also condone checking and denting goldtops!

Who looks up what has been talked about before? I talk about what I want to talk about regardless if is was ever discussed. If it was discussed before and you don't want to discuss it, then don't.

What a way of making a new member want to post again.

I like to try an keep my guitars as pristine as possible, so I don't usually go for the relics. But I can be easily swayed....JMintzer is showing some sweet axes.

Has anyone noticed that there are no obviously "reliced" Stradivarius or Guarnerius instruments? Hmmm, must be a reason for that... . I don't think that the one offered for $999,999.99 has that affliction.

I agree that if fake mojo is your thing, go for it. I personally don't care for it, and I certainly don't understand why you have to pay more for one that looks beat to hell.

Has anyone noticed that there are no obviously "reliced" Stradivarius or Guarnerius instruments? Hmmm, must be a reason for that... . I don't think that the one offered for $999,999.99 has that affliction.

Also, no goldtop stradivariuses. Stravarii? Variae? Screw it...

I have a 51 year old guitar that my dad bought new for my brother in 1965.

No fake stuff. It earned its way. I learned to play on it, my son learned to play on it. It went to many, many gigs. I started in the ad music business with it.

I've posted this pic before. A real relic, in its original real case. You can keep the fakes, boys. There's a difference.

Who looks up what has been talked about before? I talk about what I want to talk about regardless if is was ever discussed. If it was discussed before and you don't want to discuss it, then don't.

What a way of making a new member want to post again.
Breaking my own pie here because this needs addressing:

Actually lots of people look up what's been talked about before, in fact one of the more recent threads on relicing started out with "I searched but couldn't find anything".

I called pie early not just because of the done-to-death-topic, but also the way it was delivered. Calling people "poseurs" and "weirdos" for liking a reliced guitar, and the guitar being little more than a fake, is just going to get people riled up. You know:

"You're a weirdo poseur"
"No, you're a weirdo poseur"
"You are"
And so on.

(Actually that was the censored version)

There's never any need for name calling, and it's something we don't encourage around here.

I wasn't telling people what they can and can't talk about, and when they can or can't do it, I simply asked (nicely) that we not let this one go on further. I'm hoping that me calling pie has kept this thread a little more civil than it has turned out before (on this forum and others).

I for one, do, and always will encourage posts by anyone, regardless of how long they've been around, what their post count is, or how many guitars they own (I've said this recently), but I'll always have an issue with name calling.

There's never any need for name calling, and it's something we don't encourage around here.

I wasn't telling people what they can and can't talk about, and when they can or can't do it, I simply asked (nicely) that we not let this one go on further. I'm hoping that me calling pie has kept this thread a little more civil than it has turned out before (on this forum and others).

I for one, do, and always will encourage posts by anyone, regardless of how long they've been around, what their post count is, or how many guitars they own (I've said this recently), but I'll always have an issue with name calling.
Right on.

Now about the original post.
I have mostly pristine guitars. I buy them new and keep them in good shape.
But I really like my '62 bass that has had the snot beat out of it. There are some aspects of that that I just don't have enough time to recreate in a new guitar. Partly because I'm not certain I will be able to play for another 50 years and partly because I am so spoiled that no one guitar gets 4 hours of play a day anymore. So I bought a '56 replica that was reliced in a very natural way. The neck in particular is artificially worn to a very comfortable feel. Not all relics are created equally. The topic often comes up with some hack job as the reference point, but some of these guys do a really good job of making it close to natural wear (Murphy, Cruz and Krause come to mind). This is extra time invested in the guitar so it has to cost more than pulling a pristine finish off the line.

Right on.

Now about the original post.
I have mostly pristine guitars. I buy them new and keep them in good shape.
But I really like my '62 bass that has had the snot beat out of it. There are some aspects of that that I just don't have enough time to recreate in a new guitar. Partly because I'm not certain I will be able to play for another 50 years and partly because I am so spoiled that no one guitar gets 4 hours of play a day anymore. So I bought a '56 replica that was reliced in a very natural way. The neck in particular is artificially worn to a very comfortable feel. Not all relics are created equally. The topic often comes up with some hack job as the reference point, but some of these guys do a really good job of making it close to natural wear (Murphy, Cruz and Krause come to mind). This is extra time invested in the guitar so it has to cost more than pulling a pristine finish off the line.

Also well said.

As for my take, I would buy a well worn used guitar, if it's tone spoke to me. I would plunk down my hard earned cash on a new instrument that was professionally done in order to try to create that same feel, as long as the tone spoke to me. I would not walk into a store and grab an assembly line relic off the wall for $699, and I would not take one of my guitars to some one to have it get the relic treatment.

Back