Relic Silver Sky

Time to piss somebody off. To me, relicing is for poseurs and hosers. If a guitar gets worn through honest play wear, that’s a badge of honor. A new guitar relic’d? I’d be too embarrassed to play it because it would be phony. I will admit to having sold a 35 year old guitar for a stupid amount of money because it was in excellent condition. It was a guitar I bought in college that I played every day and absolutely loved. It got the mortgage paid for a while.

Time to piss somebody off. To me, relicing is for poseurs and hosers. If a guitar gets worn through honest play wear, that’s a badge of honor. A new guitar relic’d? I’d be too embarrassed to play it because it would be phony. I will admit to having sold a 35 year old guitar for a stupid amount of money because it was in excellent condition. It was a guitar I bought in college that I played every day and absolutely loved. It got the mortgage paid for a while.
I hear what you are saying but would you go over to a friends house and complain about their dining room table that was relic'd? o_O

If there's one dude on this planet who's put more hours on any Silver Sky it's gotta be John Mayer himself. And until his guitar(s) start lookin' relic'ed, certainly the wear on anyone else's simply isn't legit. If his ain't worn, yours ain't worn, my brother.

I hear what you are saying but would you go over to a friends house and complain about their dining room table that was relic'd? o_O

Of course not, nor would I tell a friend his/her guitar is all wrong. The most I might say if asked is, “The important thing is whether you like playing it,” and change the subject.

Also, dining room tables made to look old actually don’t look like guitar relics, with deep scratches in the paint and bare wood spots; they look new, because they’re finished after the nasties with the chains and hammers do their dirty work.

What if you are that rare player that actually takes care of his guitars and isn't a total klutz and won't get 10 dings in it every time he plays it? It's all good. I like shiny new guitars and I like relics.

Back