Reliability of Tremolo

Graptemys

Do most people agree that the tremolo on 1995 PRS Custom's are pretty reliable? Mine seems to be hit and miss. Is there something I can do to make it go out of tune less when using it?

Before you do anything, check that the strings are really stretched. These guitars were setup from the factory to use 9s and 10s. I you use something heavier the nut will need some filling.
First thing to check is the nut. It might need replacing or just a little love after all these years.
Then you might need to check the screws that connect the trem to the body. They might be misaligned or just worn. Did you ever move these?
That said my 1992 is still fine with its original parts.

I would agree they’re pretty reliable. Did this issue just start happening recently? When you say it’s hit and miss, are there any patterns when it goes out of tune more?
@Jazzedout has some good advice. Also, maybe you could try Big Bends. That helps my Gibson with Bigsby trem stay in tune. Not sure why but I generally only need it in colder months.
Typically if your guitar is going out of tune it’s because of the nut. However there are times when it could be your saddles. If you’re in need of a replacement, some people swear by the graph tech saddles.

Back