Regular production McCarty 594?

Maybe I lost the bubble after 8 pages, but what's the basis for comparing a 594 to a Les Paul other than the arrangement of the controls?

Well, for one thing, it can produce tones very much in that direction.

If you listen to the demo of the PS 594, it's definitely got some vintage Gibson/LP vibe. That's obviously something it was designed to achieve, though it does much more as well.

Though one might ask, what's "Gibson LP tone" really mean anyway?

The other day, a buddy of mine just brought over an early-mid 70s Les Paul Signature, an offset double cutaway hollowbody, with plastic covered active pickups. The thing sounds nothing like a Les Paul or any other Gibson model I'd think of when I think Gibson, but it still has a Gibson family type of sound despite everything. Whether it's the woods, the construction, the hardware, the electronics, whatever, there's still that family of tone.

There's no doubt that Paul Smith wanted to learn a lot from Ted McCarty about Gibson's golden age practices, and did. And equally, there's no doubt he picked up a lot on his own.

I think it's great that PRS is making certain guitars to sound vintage, and others to sound modern, because that way I have a good excuse to own more than one. ;)

Yeah; the reason there are so many Les Paul comparisons to the McCarty is that they've always had a lot of similarities. Heck, even Ted McCarty's name alone would invite comparisons to the closest model from Gibson.

Now, a Les Paul is a Les Paul and a PRS... ISNT. And that's a good thing for both camps.

The McCarty 594 is the closest model to the Les Paul yet, including the SC58. In fact, the SC58 is a perfect building point for the comparisons. The SC58 introduced the TOM style bridge and 4 knob + traditional 3 way selector position. The SC58's biggest difference to a Les Paul, would be the scale length at 24-1/2instead of 24-3/4 or 24-9/16(vintage accurate for golden era). There are clearly many other diffeences like wiring, top thickness, headstock break angle, glues used etc.

The McCarty 594 looks like an evolution of both the McCarty and the sc58. It has essentially SC58 specs but with vintage accurate scale length and double cut construction. And the new 58/15-LT pickups.

Personally, since I have a DGT, I'm kind of inclined to wait and hope for a McCarty 594 Singlecut when/if it should ever come along.

For your reading pleasure....;) Two threads, one on TPG and the other on LPF were based on comments about players who never played a specific guitar making comments on something they knew nothing about, just to make comments.

This is the post that says it all for me. It is a response to some of the fighting going on about Gibson.

"I think most people would expect a Historic Reissue to be as close to the originals as possible and the best way to achieve that goal would be to use the same materials and the same construction. For the True Historics, Gibson claims that they went as far as "molecular level analysis" to get the plastics right. Unfortunately, they still have a lot of things wrong, you know, small things like not using the same fingerboard wood or nitro formulation. That hide glue top is also historically inaccurate. They also sell (razor-blade) reliced guitars with shiny new plastics and hardware.

As for calling them Custom Shop, I would argue that is also inaccurate. They are factory-made guitars and there's nothing custom about them. They make thousands a year. Gibson does not have a real custom shop like the PRS Private Stock line, for instance.

They (re: Gibson) are fantastic guitars but they are neither custom shop nor historically accurate."

At least someone in that thread knew what he was talking about! :)

Last edited:
Personally, since I have a DGT, I'm kind of inclined to wait and hope for a McCarty 594 Singlecut when/if it should ever come along.

Boom.

It came along as a PS model. It's called a McCarty Singlecut (and I have one that I affectionately named The Hammer Of The Gods). Slightly thicker body than an SC245, nitro finish, specially wound LT 57/08 pickups, squared-off frets, and lots of sweet details. Lifetime keeper:

Since it's PS I'm sure they'd make one now with the 594 neck and the 58/15 LT pickups; mine has the Pattern and the 24,5 scale length.

Les,
You were ahead of your time with The Hammer...sort of like a pre 594 PS.

P.S. that isn't a BBQ top either! ;)

Corksniffers here too?
I´d really like to hear sound differences between hyde glue and titebond. If I try one on one and hear differences... how much is the glue and how much is the rest of the guitar?. For me, PRS is a very methodic sound perfeccionist, giving importance to very tiny details; however I remember him saying in a video "glue doesnt make any difference, it doesnt sound"

That McCarty Singlecut is GORGEOUS. I'm familiar and imagining something like that but with 594 scale length. That would be the best "make me buy" guitar they could make for my wallet to suddenly jump out of my pockets with a mind of its own.

Corksniffers here too?
I´d really like to hear sound differences between hyde glue and titebond. If I try one on one and hear differences... how much is the glue and how much is the rest of the guitar?. For me, PRS is a very methodic sound perfeccionist, giving importance to very tiny details; however I remember him saying in a video "glue doesnt make any difference, it doesnt sound"

I believe you are right. I hear differences in original bursts from new LP's, but I personally believe that time changes tone in instruments. It affects the wood, the magnets in the pickups, and other things that contribute either more or less to the guitar's sound. How much of a change, imho, depends on how much time has passed, and whether the guitar was played a lot or left in the case.

Paul has been doing this thing for many years and has a better handle on it then I certainly do.
I posted the statement after reading the threads from the other two forums. I found that the participants were so entrenched in their beliefs that they became rude and insulting to each other. The person who stated that PRS has an actual custom shop was one of the nicer posting people.

That McCarty Singlecut is GORGEOUS. I'm familiar and imagining something like that but with 594 scale length. That would be the best "make me buy" guitar they could make for my wallet to suddenly jump out of my pockets with a mind of its own.

Thanks!

The minute I heard it played, my wallet said, "Schwinggggg!" and escaped.

So today I have the guitar, however, I am also living in an alley and drinking Woolite when I can't find any Cadillac Club.

5 great colors and no natural back :mad:
Check out the PRS page for the guitar. All the "normal" colors are available, plus artist package. Not sure which, if any, of the "normal" core colors have natural backs.

Well then, I know what my next guitar will be :)

Fueling up at the G.A.S. Station.

Last edited:
Back