Regular production McCarty 594?

Serious question: Do non-electronic piano makers innovate by changing the tone of the piano?

Steinway is constantly improving their pianos in the small details, as well as their production techniques. And like PRS, they have limited editions and special runs, plus their version of a Private Stock piano called "Special Collection."

I'm sure other makers are, too.

Being very large instruments, the tone variations from piano to piano of the same model are more noticeable than between two guitars of the same model, so their main concern is to have consistency, no duds, etc. You don't want a $100,000 grand piano sitting at a dealer for years and years because it doesn't sound very good compared to others of the same model.

Piano makers are also obsessed with improving the action and responsiveness, as the keyboard mechanisms on a grand piano have a crapload of parts, all of which affect the playability and tone of the instrument. Even the density of the felt hammers affects the tone.

I hate to derail this thread back to its original topic...........but what changes do you think will be made the the core 594 when it comes out?

I'm going to guess it'll be just like the McCarty in terms of trim, but have the new neck carve. It'd be cool if it also had the low-turn pickups.

Yeah, I was hoping they would keep it as close to the Private Stock as possible with a somewhat limited and fixed feature run similar to the SC58, Modern Eagle or Paul's Guitar. Essentially artist grade woods and unusual trim at better than artist prices (SC58 & PG more than ME).

I think if they did it like that, they could retain a lot of the magic the public is in love with from trim appointments to low wind pickups.

A dealer let me know it's going to offer core line trim, however with options like standard, ten top and artist package.

I really hope dealer or two does a wood library run with BrazilianRW boards and trim. Skip the ebony and maple for this one. Make those special runs vintage inspired with the BrazilianRW.

photo1.jpg

I love the look, but the control layout has all of the drawbacks of a Les Paul. Half the reason I switched to PRS was for the improved ergonomics.

The other half being that I liked the sound.

Still, options are good. Maybe someday they'll make a McCarty 594 with PRS controls.

IMO.

I love the look, but the control layout has all of the drawbacks of a Les Paul. Half the reason I switched to PRS was for the improved ergonomics.

The other half being that I liked the sound.

Still, options are good. Maybe someday they'll make a McCarty 594 with PRS controls.

IMO.

I don't understand why a four knob configuration would be considered a drawback, but, then again, I have played LPs primarily for the last 15 years.

That's the one thing I do like!!. What with the ergonomics, weight and playability of a PRS
job's a good'n. Still Horses for courses eh!!!

I don't understand why a four knob configuration would be considered a drawback, but, then again, I have played LPs primarily for the last 15 years.

PRS' typical diamond configuration has all the advantages of a 4 knob configuration, and it puts the volume knob in pinky range.

I think you can get used to any tried and true configuration. So I worked in a music store for a while and you end up playing and demoing so much gear that it kind of blends together. I don't think everyone should work at a music store and go get comfortable with 100 guitars but I think we can adapt well to new stuff.

I'm really curious to play one. I'm actually most curious how it might/might-not inspire me, tone wise. I's so rare that I find a Gibson TOM guitar that inspires me. There have been a few. I feel like if someone's going to get it right in that kind of way for me, consitently, it'll be PRS

PRS' typical diamond configuration has all the advantages of a 4 knob configuration, and it puts the volume knob in pinky range.

Well, there are advantages/disadvantages to every control layout.

For the player who likes two volumes and two tones, there are certain advantages, and for the player who would like fewer controls for various reasons, there are advantages.

Choices aren't a bad thing. PRS offers many, including Private Stock where you can do a custom build to your own specs.

Agreed. There's obviously a lot of interest in this guitar, and despite my objections I am curious to hear how it sounds next to a regular McCarty.

I want to try them side by side myself (and I'm sure I will at some point in the near future!).

I have the McCarty Singlecut, and have played it with its lower-wound pickups next to an SC245, and there's a very discernible and desirable difference. So I'm hoping for a "need 'em both" kind of feeling. ;)

I couldn't really do that with the McCarty Singlecut, because it was quite the investment, but if a Core 594 is close to the PS version, I think I'd want to have both.

Steinway is constantly improving their pianos in the small details, as well as their production techniques. And like PRS, they have limited editions and special runs, plus their version of a Private Stock piano called "Special Collection."

I'm sure other makers are, too.

Being very large instruments, the tone variations from piano to piano of the same model are more noticeable than between two guitars of the same model, so their main concern is to have consistency, no duds, etc. You don't want a $100,000 grand piano sitting at a dealer for years and years because it doesn't sound very good compared to others of the same model.

Piano makers are also obsessed with improving the action and responsiveness, as the keyboard mechanisms on a grand piano have a crapload of parts, all of which affect the playability and tone of the instrument. Even the density of the felt hammers affects the tone.

Two words: Shigeru Kawai.

Two words: Shigeru Kawai.

Well, it's all a matter of what sound and touch you like - as with guitars.

As a classically trained piano player, I can honestly say that nothing plays like, or sounds like, a Steinway.

That isn't to say there's a "best" piano; it's all a matter of personal taste.

Back