Regular production McCarty 594?

Let's hope so. Seems as I didn't read into the sarcasm that Sergio's reply.. apologies for that. I'm newbie here, and it just didn't read that way to me.

Drew - No Flame, but....
But agree with Kazz I do (Yoda accent). Don't think for a second that PRS (or any other company) don't have marketing people out there with the focus groups and the product testers, thinking about new stuff. They have to bring in change slowly. Every company innovates, else they die. Problem with Fender and Gibson is that they are stuck with certain models.

For example, Porsche has the 911, if they change anything on that car, their 911 customers will get in a fit, so they have to innovate on other lines and then bring the successes to the 911. Same with the Strat and the Les Paul.

PRS has come a long way since they started. They are building to their customers. If the numbers are right, they'll bring it to their core lineup. Call it dipping a toe in the pool to test the water.

Last edited:
Nothing? Not even stuff like sexual predators, child abuse, racism, or leaf blowers?

I must be hanging out in the wrong places. I never go to the Sexual Predator Child Abuse Forum!

Leaf blowers, those forums I go to, but only when they're innovative 7 speed leaf blowers, and not the kind I grew up with 60 years ago.

Sigh. That's just Sergio's style, man. He's yanking Les's chain in his usual, playful, sparkly way.

Yup. That's Sergio. He and I have a running war of sarcasm that's been going on for years. Most of the time he's harmless. Sometimes he's even funny. And sometimes, he pisses me off and I have to go all ballistic on him.

Which he ignores or pushes back. Doesn't seem to bother him. My little brother used to poke me until I smacked him, but Sergio stays far enough away that I can't do that. Though of course, I would.

Last edited:
All this talk about innovation and marketing to the next generation of conspicuous consumers has given me a strong desire to watch the scene in Back to the Future where Marty starts shredding to a silent and dumbfounded audience. What did he say? Something like, "Trust me your kids are going to love it."

BTW, I actually have a 594 and an R9. Different guitars that I love equally.

PRS has had been in a high innovation period lately. The new locking saddles looks like a really great design and elegant solution, I really hope they cascade down to the core range at some point (even as a chargeable option). New finishes were introduced and the newer pickups sound really good. I played a bunch of custom 24s recently and couldn't believe how much better they were than the 1990 second hand one I had when I was at Uni.

On the 594. Looks good, will definitely try one out. My go to PRS is a PS 245 but if the 594 has a more vintage tonality I'll probably get one... Or a fatback Custom 24, haven't decided.

All this talk about innovation and marketing to the next generation of conspicuous consumers has given me a strong desire to watch the scene in Back to the Future where Marty starts shredding to a silent and dumbfounded audience. What did he say? Something like, "Trust me your kids are going to love it."

BTW, I actually have a 594 and an R9. Different guitars that I love equally.

So true.

The joke in this whole "innovation" thing is that when you read the forum posts, you'll very often see things like "I want a PRS that sounds like a Les Paul," or "Can a PRS do the classic Strat tones?" Etc. Very few posts demonstrate interest in 7 string guitars, though we do have members who have them.

Most electric guitar buyers are interested in the classic tones, to this day.

My son's band are in their 20s, and are playing Strats, Teles, SGs, LP Juniors, and 335s. That's it. And their guitars were all made before PRS was even founded. Not designed then -- made then. They play older guitars.

Not that I'm holding them up as exemplars of Guitardom, but let's face facts, very few people are interested in 7 string guitars, MIDI guitars, and other such so-called "modern" stuff (that I've shown in my post aren't all that new and modern, including the MIDI guitar that was introduced in the late 80s by Yamaha).

How many of you are playing such innovations as the Line 6 guitar today? The Yamaha or Roland MIDI guitars?

How many of you are clamoring for/would even consider a 7 string?

To accuse PRS of living in the past is simply so much rubbish.

Foma!

And I love me some Stradivarius.

Because they sound great.

But I can't play one.

Guess I belong in the past.

;) :) :cool:

Let's hope so. Seems as I didn't read into the sarcasm that Sergio's reply.. apologies for that.

It's all good.

... He and I have a running war of sarcasm that's been going on for years. Most of the time he's harmless. Sometimes he's even funny. And sometimes, he pisses me off and I have to go all ballistic on him.

Which he ignores or pushes back. Doesn't seem to bother him. My little brother used to poke me until I smacked him, but Sergio stays far enough away that I can't do that. Though of course, I would.

Oh, sometimes I go off and pout, turn off the internet, read some books, hang out with friends IRL, until my productivity reaches the level of a coked-up three-toed sloth and I need to slow down and look at the comments section of the news or some PRS again. I'm starting to recognize the cyclical stages of my addiction. :oops:

"Nerd Rage" is such a bizarre phenomenon.

"Nerd Rage" is such a bizarre phenomenon.

I plead guilty, but with extenuating circumstances.

"You see, doc, I was born with a stick up my butt. It was quite a medical condition, but it also affected my psyche and made me unable to appreciate humor, unable to relax and be comfortable in my own skin. As a result, I became an internet nerd."

"I see. What was your relationship with your mother like?"

"Oh, it was great, although she did dress me like a little girl until I was 19."

"What happened then?"

"She got me a pantsuit. And a bra."

"Would you say your mother was overbearing?"

"Don't insult my mother, doc. She was just like all other moms. Of...uh...all the other little girls....Wait! I'm having a breakthrough!"

"Oh?"

"Yes, I just realized that maybe I should have dressed like a boy sooner."

"Like when?"

"Like maybe as early as 17?"

"When did you finally take the stick out of your butt?"

"Hmmmm. I know I was supposed to at some point. But I think it's still there."

Last edited:
Ahhhhhh....Sergio's back, and Les has his stick. All is right in the universe. We may all sleep tight tonight. G'night boyz.......

I think PRS is still constantly pushing innovative guitar ideas forward. Obviously "rock" guitar sounds are pretty well established at this point, and since the 80s the market has basically retreated back to the core sounds of the original high-profile guitars that popularized rock.

But what other guitar maker is trying so many different ways to approach those sounds from new and interesting concepts - I mean, look at these Guitars of the Month! None of the other big companies are CURRENTLY trying such radically different designs (I mean, the flying-V was considered outlandish in the 50s-60s right?).

So while Paul does seem to be chasing certain iconic 50s sounds, he keeps trying different body styles, scales, finishes, pickups, bridges, etc.. resulting in the much lauded McCarty SC, and the 594. IMO, it's ok to look forward and use modern manufacturing developments in order to achieve sounds that owe to the past.

And guitars like the 408, 513, the various hollow bodies and innovative acoustics represent "modern" ideas that represent a continued search for new sounds - which, again, is just not even being attempted by any of the big companies.

And while I don't live in the world of 7-strings and baritones, PRS seems to keep up with these, to a certain extent in the SE lines. Added to the fact that the Custom 24 is and always has been popular in modern "metal" communities, it just seems into total, IMHO, that PRSh is still actively trying, searching and innovating across a large spectrum of the guitar universe.

So true.

The joke in this whole "innovation" thing is that when you read the forum posts, you'll very often see things like "I want a PRS that sounds like a Les Paul," or "Can a PRS do the classic Strat tones?" Etc. Very few posts demonstrate interest in 7 string guitars, though we do have members who have them.

Most electric guitar buyers are interested in the classic tones, to this day.

My son's band are in their 20s, and are playing Strats, Teles, SGs, LP Juniors, and 335s. That's it. And their guitars were all made before PRS was even founded. Not designed then -- made then. They play older guitars.

Not that I'm holding them up as exemplars of Guitardom, but let's face facts, very few people are interested in 7 string guitars, MIDI guitars, and other such so-called "modern" stuff (that I've shown in my post aren't all that new and modern, including the MIDI guitar that was introduced in the late 80s by Yamaha).

How many of you are playing such innovations as the Line 6 guitar today? The Yamaha or Roland MIDI guitars?

How many of you are clamoring for/would even consider a 7 string?

To accuse PRS of living in the past is simply so much rubbish.

Foma!

Boy did you bring back some memories, Les. I had a Roland GR-50 that I had hooked up to a paisley tele and used only for studio use.
Even though I am now getting into PRS, 30 years after they started, my main voicing is based on what I heard growing up, playing sessions, or in bands, and what the music calls for...mostly vintage-voiced. To me that is what a guitar sounds like in an untainted form, be it Tele, Strat, any Gibson, and everything else being sold out there in guitars.

Even in my carbon fiber guitars, when they were designed and built, it was to offer a vintage-voiced modern guitar.

It is probably just my personal belief, but I feel that vintage-voiced guitars are the base line by which other guitar sounds are judged as being good or bad. Of course a young player will more then likely disagree with me. Even in heavy metal, I still want to hear at least some of the guitar's basic tone even though it may be dripping in effects or distortion.

Having just come out with the 594, it seems to be some type of measuring line for Paul as well.

It is probably just my personal belief, but I feel that vintage-voiced guitars are the base line by which other guitar sounds are judged as being good or bad. Of course a young player will more then likely disagree with me. Even in heavy metal, I still want to hear at least some of the guitar's basic tone even though it may be dripping in effects or distortion.

I think you're right, moreover, what made it so were the thousands of records made with those tones, reinforced by 50 or so years of airplay.

We instantly recognize classic guitar tones, they move us. It's no wonder that even younger players - my son's band is an example, even though their stuff is way distorted - play and seek out older instruments.

I think you're right, moreover, what made it so were the thousands of records made with those tones, reinforced by 50 or so years of airplay.

We instantly recognize classic guitar tones, they move us. It's no wonder that even younger players - my son's band is an example, even though their stuff is way distorted - play and seek out older instruments.

Agreed. To me "modern" guitar tones are those that deviate from those specific classic tones - and at least generationally, for me, that still means the super-strats of the 80s, with floyd roses, super high-output compressed pickups, etc... Though in another sense, a classic guitar can still sound modern depending on amps and effects being used.

But I suppose a younger generation would define "modern" more in the 7-string, extended scale stuff?

So basically, I've talked myself in a circle and am now confused o_O

I'm going to jump into this thread, even though I haven't been keeping up with it very well...

One of my favorite bands back from when I was in high school and early college recently came off a break and put out a new album, using baritones and 7's, and I honestly didn't care for it! Probably for reasons in addition to the guitar tuning - poor mixing, too many effects added in production. The mixing really took the guitar out of focus, which for a riff based hard rock group is a major flub.

I play in a hard rock group right now, but even so, I just tend to gravitate toward the stuff that gives a nod to the classics - 57/08's, low output pickups, P90's, amps with tones that breathe and react a little more than just a hopped up preamp. I do rely on more modern things for the band I'm in, and enjoy them too, but leave me to my own devices and I'll be popping blues licks on a crunchy amp all day.

So, what is it that gives guitarists of all generations that ear for the early sounds of rock and roll? Did the first guys at the party really get it so right on purpose, or more likely, by accident? Or is it just a flavor that we all get introduced to early and quickly develop a taste for? I think probably a little bit of both.

Thank goodness Paul is making, nah, improving the classic soundsin a refreshing format.

Thank goodness Paul is making, nah, improving the classic sounds in a refreshing format.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Andy.

The guitars play amazingly well, they sound great, the look phenomenal. Really, it's the trifecta of any instrument.

And PRS has put their own twist on the classic sounds. I love what they're doing, and of course, my wallet is thinner for it. But I'm happy nonetheless.

Serious question: Do non-electronic piano makers innovate by changing the tone of the piano?
Interesting question. I don't think they would make large scale changes in the tone of their pianos. I do think they strive to make them sound better: clearer, better sustain, better note definition. Looking inside the baby grand in the dining room, it is surprising how much metal is in there, and how many contoured there are to it.

I hate to derail this thread back to its original topic...........but what changes do you think will be made the the core 594 when it comes out? Bridge made from standard materials and not the cool colored unobtanium? Will it have standard plastic binding, or any binding at all? Will it have the tweaked tuners? Logo on headstock? Will it have the new asymmetrical neck carve? What color choices?

Back