Regular production McCarty 594?

Gratifying to see this kind of excitement over a great new core model. Love the ones dealers have already. Next guitar for me was going to be a DC245, either an old WL run or a PS build with DGT electronics, but even the basic 594 10 top with a hog neck ticks most of the boxes for me. As others have said the 594 is really the logical evolution of the Ted - glad to see it represented again.
agreed

My guess is the two piece sounds better, and is intonatable.

Plus it looks badass on a double cut guitar which is very important :)
I would argue that it sounds different; not necessarily better. I guarantee it would sound fantastic with any bridge PRS makes. :p

The 594 is obviously vintage LP inspired, so maybe it helps give it more of that classic vintage tone as opposed to the other PRS bridges.

The two-piece bridge emphasises far more midrange. It's clearly a tonal choice.

I would argue that it sounds different; not necessarily better. I guarantee it would sound fantastic with any bridge PRS makes. :p

The 594 is obviously vintage LP inspired, so maybe it helps give it more of that classic vintage tone as opposed to the other PRS bridges.

In fact, was PRSh who stated that a fixed-one-piece bridge is the best option for vibrations to be transmitted

I could be wrong by I think the original LP bridge was a one piece bridge, so for me I always wonder what people mean by vintage tone

The two-piece bridge emphasises far more midrange. It's clearly a tonal choice.

My ears agree with this

In fact, was PRSh who stated that a fixed-one-piece bridge is the best option for vibrations to be transmitted

IIRC his preference is on record. I also like the one piece, but I think the two piece on a double-cutaway might be a really good medium

One big result from this is that there is a new neck shape on a core model. This is the first new one in a while (since DGT?). I know many have clamored for bigger necks, and an asymmetrical neck is also new to PRSi AFAIK. I've been fine with Pattern, but I think I liked the W/F a little better (less V shaped), but the asymmetrical aspect is reassuring, in that you won't be fighting the guitar up at the 19th fret, etc.. like you would with a huge R7 neck. Anyways, this could be a boon for people that really wanted bigger necks, as maybe it will option on other models at some point too?

My wallet is running scared after seeing these amazing 594's on various sites. I always wondered why we couldn't somehow get a 4 knob layout on a DC - and the DGT was a cool compromise - but this coupled with the shorter scale length, and a toggle on the upper horn (I NEVER thought I'd see that work) is just too awesome. Might not be able to resist....

It may in fact be, but the question is whether the other options for vibrations to be transmitted are different sounding, and just as interesting.

And of course, they are.

The only question I'm asking myself is whether to go Core or PS with one. And when. ;)

Last edited:
Tell me you can listen to the "Dirty Noodle" Soundcloud soundbite on the PRS 594 page and NOT WANT THIS GUITAR. IT'S SO IMPOSSIBLE. LOW GAIN VINTAGE WAIL, BITE AND PLUCK FOR THE WIN. IT'S CHEWABLE. IT'S SMOOTH. IT'S SUPPLE. GOTTA TRY ME ONE OF THESE IN A COUPLE WEEKS...

Not sure if this was asked and answered up thread or somewhere else, but any idea if the core 594 is closer to McCarty thickness or SC thickness? I'm staring at my SC (after having it strapped on for 2 hours) and kind of wishing for McCarty thickness... :)

I will definitely have one of these in the future. As a guy who comes from playing "that" type of instrument in my early days, I love the switch and control layout.

Not sure if this was asked and answered up thread or somewhere else, but any idea if the core 594 is closer to McCarty thickness or SC thickness? I'm staring at my SC (after having it strapped on for 2 hours) and kind of wishing for McCarty thickness... :)

Someone posted pictures of the compared thickness between a McCarty and the 594. The 594 was a few millimeters thicker and it was noticeable, especially around the jack input plate.

I could be wrong by I think the original LP bridge was a one piece bridge, so for me I always wonder what people mean by vintage tone
I mean, if you want to get really technical, the original LPs had a trapeze bridge. I would bet when people think of an LP style guitar, most are going to picture it with the 2 piece TOM bridge. That's what I was referring to.

That being said, I would love to see a comparison of the different PRS bridges on the same model of guitar. Would be interesting to see the tonal qualities of each.

I mean, if you want to get really technical, the original LPs had a trapeze bridge. I would bet when people think of an LP style guitar, most are going to picture it with the 2 piece TOM bridge. That's what I was referring to.

That being said, I would love to see a comparison of the different PRS bridges on the same model of guitar. Would be interesting to see the tonal qualities of each.

Guess I am thinking of '54 les paul's and reissues, those had the one piece style bridges as did a lot of early LP juniors I believe.

https://www.google.com/search?q=54+...hXBFz4KHekTAf8Q_AUIBygC#imgrc=NkA0QkvtX8wXIM:

Well, a series of PS builds of otherwise identical guitars should be just the ticket! So, who's gonna do that for us?

:eek:

;)

I've owned Gibson LP's with wrap over tail pieces and the two piece bridges. Every guitar responds differently, so some that I had with the wrap over did not sound or sustain like some I had with the two piece bridges, and some wrap over tail pieces sounded better then some LP's I had with the two-piece bridge.

Gibson doesn't use the quality of hardware that PRS uses. If it was, you wouldn't be seeing so many Gibson LP players switching out the bridge and stop tails for after market types.

I've had no problem intonating the Gibson wrap over tail piece guitars. I remember PRS in a video stating that they were going for a vintage sounding guitar. Hence the scale, bridge type, pickup type, slightly fatter neck profile, toggle in the horn, etc. Imho, PRS is trying to get as close to a burst tone, but with modern architecture as possible.

I'm sure most, if not everyone here, sees and understands that. From what I have heard of the 594 videos and some of the PS McCarty videos posted on line, these guitars get as close, if not closer to a burst tone, as any Gibson I have ever heard. Based on that, it becomes a personal choice for which type of bridge assembly one prefers. ymmv

Back