Regarding string change

krb813

Will I have to make any changes to my setup when changing strings from 10's to 9.5's? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

hardly. probably not.
how much are the low strings (E-A-D) changing?

If frets don't start buzzing you're fine on neck relief since you're going down in string tension which would allow your neck to stretch out causing less relief (just by a hair if any). but if nothing buzzes, I'd just take it.
For intonation, I doubt it'll make a difference. Easy one to adjust.

hardly. probably not.
how much are the low strings (E-A-D) changing?

If frets don't start buzzing you're fine on neck relief since you're going down in string tension which would allow your neck to stretch out causing less relief (just by a hair if any). but if nothing buzzes, I'd just take it.
For intonation, I doubt it'll make a difference. Easy one to adjust.
I'll be going from 46-36-26. to 44-34-24. So hopefully I will not have to make a change. I'll be switching to PRS Signature strings. Any experience with them?

Thanks

Kevin

Leave it a week or so so it settles and then check your neck relief. I don't imagine you will need to adjust much of anything

I'll be going from 46-36-26. to 44-34-24. So hopefully I will not have to make a change. I'll be switching to PRS Signature strings. Any experience with them?

Thanks

Kevin

When I did this on numerous guitars adjustments were absolutely needed.
Maybe I'm picky...but Id definitely be adjusting my setup making this move. I agree there won't be huge adjustments but there WILL be adjustments.

1. IF trem equipped...level out. You can adjust the screws on the back of the guitar for this.
2. IF no buzzing like others said leave neck relief alone...but i would not be surprised if it needed a little turn.
3. Intonation will need adjustment going from those sizes quoted above.

Again adjustments will likely be minimal, and you can probably look up how to do it yourself online.

Changing gauge will change the tension on the guitar which may need a small adjustment to the relief and to the trem claw to compensate. If you increase the tension, the neck relief will be different, there will be more 'pull' on the headstock causing a bit more relief and as there is more tension on the bridge too, the back end will be raised meaning you may have to adjust the truss rod to flatten the neck a bit and tighten up the claw so the springs pull the trem back down. If there is less tension, the neck maybe too flat or even bow the other way so you have no action - the strings are resting on the frets and the back of the bridge will be lower - maybe even touching the body so you have to add relief with the Truss rod and slacken off the claw so the springs aren't pulling the bridge down so much.

A very small change in the string tension may not be quite that drastic - the action at the 12th could only be +/- 0.1mm - not enough that you feel you want to adjust the Truss Rod for and so you only need to make a small adjustment to the claw screws to raise/lower the back end of the trem plate to make it level/Parallel to the strings/body again - assuming you do have it set-up to float...

Even a small change in string gauge will change the tension. Its not just the high E that's dropping - but all 6 strings. Changing tuning also changes the tension to so does need some adjustment IF you want to keep it perfectly set up. Dropping the Low E to D will change the tension but its perhaps not significant enough to warrant unscrewing the trem cover and adjusting the claw for

I know I'm a year and a half late on this thread, but -- I just put heavier gauge/tension strings on my SE Custom 22 Semi=Hollow, and the bridge was leaning all the way forward (towards the fingerboard), with its back edge up in the air. If I adjust the claw springs, do I loosen the strings first, or do I keep the strings at tension when I adjust the claw? Thanks for any insight you can provide. I was worried when I saw it, so I loosened the strings and adjusted the claw so it's level again. But if I tune the strings up, it will lean forward again. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I know I'm a year and a half late on this thread, but -- I just put heavier gauge/tension strings on my SE Custom 22 Semi=Hollow, and the bridge was leaning all the way forward (towards the fingerboard), with its back edge up in the air. If I adjust the claw springs, do I loosen the strings first, or do I keep the strings at tension when I adjust the claw? Thanks for any insight you can provide. I was worried when I saw it, so I loosened the strings and adjusted the claw so it's level again. But if I tune the strings up, it will lean forward again. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Generally you can adjust the claw with tension on strings. Keep in mind though that as you tighten the claw springs, the strings will tighten and tune up. So I'd probably tune them down a step or two, then tighten the claw until guitar is around pitch again (carefully with the proper size bit and not stripping them), see how far that got the bridge and repeat.

There are other ways to do this as well, by blocking the bridge to the desired location (with shims against the trem block, and I'd have strings on the looser side), then tuning to pitch, removing blocks and then adjusting the claw until back to pitch.

To close the loop on this, it seems to have worked. I tightened the screws to level it, then went a bit to far and went the other way, and then finally back to tightening just a tad. Right now, it's holding steady. Apparently this SE Custom 22 can handle 11's. I may now lower the action just a wee bit at the saddles, but it's very playable as is. Thanks for the tips and advice.

Four months later, thanks again to @MichaelS and others on this thread for the helpful advice. After four months, my aging fingers told me they didn't like the 11s. So I put a new set of 10-gauge flats on, and thanks to the tips you've given me in this thread, I was able to reset the claw (which leaned back after I put the 10s on, owing to less tension, I guess). So I've got it level now. Appreciate the fine folks in this forum who are so helpful.

Back