Reflection for Lent

docmoore

Chasing sympathetic harmonics ....
Last edited:
Bit of a digression ... but more akin to what you regret after the bender.

Been on the Mediterranean diet for 30 years ... olive oil is a daily thing here. Live in Texas ...
good friend would describe a bender as amateur hour ....

I struggle to get the tone that I hear from my Carr Rambler when I mic it ... Royer R10 into a
Sound Devices USBPre 2 so have gone to using a direct box. But I prefer just the amp when
playing alone ... when everyone else is out of the house.

For this it was SE Paul's middle position both PUs tapped ... Warm Audio Active Direct box (in passive mode)
to a RME Digiface AES. Recorded into Logic Pro X ...

Helix Native for the amp and cab then native Universal Audio and Plugin Alliance plugins and a Nembrini delay plugin.

I just found a used Fractal FM3 and am going down the deep rabbit hole looking for a way to approximate
what I get with my present chain ... mainly so I can take the FM3 and a set of phones anywhere.

I struggle to get the tone that I hear from my Carr Rambler when I mic it ... Royer R10 into a
Sound Devices USBPre 2 so have gone to using a direct box. But I prefer just the amp when
playing alone ... when everyone else is out of the house.

For this it was SE Paul's middle position both PUs tapped ... Warm Audio Active Direct box (in passive mode)
to a RME Digiface AES. Recorded into Logic Pro X ...

Helix Native for the amp and cab then native Universal Audio and Plugin Alliance plugins and a Nembrini delay plugin.

I just found a used Fractal FM3 and am going down the deep rabbit hole looking for a way to approximate
what I get with my present chain ... mainly so I can take the FM3 and a set of phones anywhere.
I found with the R121 (contrary to popular opinion) I liked it best placed farther back from the amp than usual, like 18-24 inches away from the speaker. I captured a more "how it sounds in the room" tone. You may already be doing this with the R10, which is a similar sounding mic, so if I'm preaching to the choir, apologies.

To place the mic, I simply use the looper function on a pedal; play a phrase into it, then let it run while I move the mic around with headphones on.

I have tried 12 inches away and at the edge ... will try farther back ... using the backside
of the capsule.

The looper is a great idea ... save me days of experimenting ... thanks!

I have tried 12 inches away and at the edge ... will try farther back ... using the backside
of the capsule.

The looper is a great idea ... save me days of experimenting ... thanks!
With a ribbon, there's usually so much proximity effect that going back a little farther gives you more of a 'what you're hearing in the room' vibe. Understanding, of course, that in addition to an amp, you're hearing a ton of room reflections at different frequencies and modes, etc. If you like the tone you got in the room, a bit farther back helps because you're picking up more of that.

I'm not sure there's much advantage to using the backside; I've done it both ways. Of course, you want to angle the ribbon element a bit to protect it from the blast of the amp.

Back