Refinishing an SE?

Alessandro

Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some advice about an idea I’ve been having.

I have a 2018 tremonti SE custom with grey/black finish that I really love. I like the electronic layout and the idea of a trem in a thick bodied single cut guitar is really clicking with me I just don’t like the finish. Some added info, I’ve made all kinds of upgrades and am not considering selling the guitar, ever. Really love how it plays/sounds right now.

I originally wanted to see it refinished in an emerald but I’ve been told there is no saving the veneer and the cost wouldn’t make sense, however I’ve been imagining a gold top after seeing the new Santana being released.

Has anyone ever refinished one of their SE’s, particularly in a gold top? What pointers/advice can you offer? Please show me your work and give me any Jedi knowledge you can offer.

It's not technical, it's psychological. Do you really, really, really want to gamble all that money and maybe even the way the guitar (which is only an SE, after all) sounds on an irreversible change that might ultimately leave you less happy with the guitar than you are now?
Personally, I think I'd leave it as is and start over with a clean sheet of green guitar.

If you’re gonna go gold, make sure you spray it in one direction, otherwise you’ll get a kind of splotchyness with the flake.

Good luck and take lots of pics.

Scuff up the existing finish with 320-600 grit so it looks matte/satin and spray your new color on top. Don't try sanding the old finish off or you'll find it a huge chore without much gain. If you ever get tired of the gold you could sand back enough to remove it and then polish up the old finish (with risks).

A full strip and refinish/repaint is more work than most people want to undertake. Look up the bigdguitars youtube channel as he recently did a strip and refinish and he swore he'd never do that again on another PRS.

I don't know, man, you must really hate that black to want to put your baby through any of this. I think it looks pretty nice, myself. :cool: And it will look good with whatever you wear!

Scuff up the existing finish with 320-600 grit so it looks matte/satin and spray your new color on top. Don't try sanding the old finish off or you'll find it a huge chore without much gain. If you ever get tired of the gold you could sand back enough to remove it and then polish up the old finish (with risks).

A full strip and refinish/repaint is more work than most people want to undertake. Look up the bigdguitars youtube channel as he recently did a strip and refinish and he swore he'd never do that again on another PRS.

Yeah PRS sanding sealer looks “bulletproof”!

Back