Refinish. V12 to Nitro (CAB?)

Are there any reputable guitar shops that you (or anyone else) would trust to strip V12 and refinish to Nitro?

I'd only have PRS do it, and here's why:

1. There's no such thing as one paint formulation; some nitro finishes get sticky, especially in humid weather. With my own 6 nitro-finished PRS Guitars, I've experienced zero stickiness. PRS has its own paint formulas.

2. It's inevitable that in removing a clear coat that some of the stain will also get removed, and PRS would be my preference if it needed touching-up or to be re-stained.

So for me, it'd be the PTC, and I'd wait until they could do it.
I would also add that the resale value will take a huge hit if anyone other than PRS does the refinish. I asked a lot of people I know that are collectors about my guitar before I let PRS refinish it. They all gave me the same answer. If PRS, the original manufacturer, does the refinish, it won't affect the resale value at all. If someone else does it, it will affect it by 30% to 50% depending on how well it was done. One thing that people don't think about with this is that PRS is going to make sure that all of the lines of the guitar will be maintained if any sanding has to be done. If they can't do that, they won't let it back out the door. Anyone other than PRS will not have as high of a standard for this.

I would also add that the resale value will take a huge hit if anyone other than PRS does the refinish. I asked a lot of people I know that are collectors about my guitar before I let PRS refinish it. They all gave me the same answer. If PRS, the original manufacturer, does the refinish, it won't affect the resale value at all. If someone else does it, it will affect it by 30% to 50% depending on how well it was done. One thing that people don't think about with this is that PRS is going to make sure that all of the lines of the guitar will be maintained if any sanding has to be done. If they can't do that, they won't let it back out the door. Anyone other than PRS will not have as high of a standard for this.
I've heard the same thing.

When PRS came out with nitro on the Core models, I traded in one of my Core guitars instead of having it refinished. I probably took the same hit financially as having it refinished, but I found a great-sounding new one and didn't want to endure the wait for a refinish.

We're all different, of course, but for me that was the right move.

good point. I plan on this guitar being a family heirloom. So I don't care about who does it. But I do care that it's done right. I trust PRS to do this.

Sounds like he doesn't offer Nitro
I'd contact him. He does killer work. From his site..

Screenshot_20220523-154405_Gallery618b4a1650d9a709.jpg

I'd contact him. He does killer work. From his site..

Screenshot_20220523-154405_Gallery618b4a1650d9a709.jpg
I did. He said no nitro

I cant post a screenshot for some reason - but I was told this by them on FB Messenger.

Last edited:
PRS cost is $1900, and they're backed up 12-26 months. Painting would take 16-18 weeks. That's Nitro over CAB, no paint color changes.

I'm not sure Nitro is that important to me. $1+ I'd be willing to stomach, but $2k is going to give me some pause. I understand it's labor intensive, which explains the cost.

Heck, when I bought this, I got it new (discounted) for barely more than $2k.

PRS cost is $1900, and they're backed up 12-26 months. Painting would take 16-18 weeks. That's Nitro over CAB, no paint color changes.

I'm not sure Nitro is that important to me. $1+ I'd be willing to stomach, but $2k is going to give me some pause. I understand it's labor intensive, which explains the cost.

Heck, when I bought this, I got it new (discounted) for barely more than $2k.
I think you're being sensible.

Honestly if you want a nitro guitar, the new ones are killer. You can always add one down the road if you find a magic guitar.

As of last year, you had no option but to refinish in the nitro-over-cellulose (CAB) system. Their entire finishing line is nitro now. Any guitar that is refinished, regardless of previous finish, gets nitro. My 2005 Custom 24 went in for refinish last Fall. Cost was $1,900. They won't reshoot over V12, they will strip down all the way to ensure finish adhesion. That said, they aren't doing an refinishing right now - they don't have the capacity to take in non-warranty refinishing (I checked with the PTC earlier this week).

The early goldtop DGTs (artist demos/prototypes) shattered. And not in a good way. PRS couldn't stabilize the first incarnation of nito on those goldtops.

Mine, pictured in my avatar, is a June '08. It was one of the first to leave the factory with a goldtop that didn't shatter. Now, the nitro on the rest of the guitar STILL hasn't fully cured in some spots.

There were a few relic goldtops made. However, the shattered DGTs that are still out there are 2007s and early 2008s that weren't sold as new.

I have played the living daylights out of mine - it's all over Instgram (mgd1148) and other sites - the goldtop nitro isn't aging. It dents well and I've worn a hole through the finish from my pinky, but it's not going to green and check like a vintage Les Paul.

but it's not going to green and check like a vintage Les Paul.
The turning green of old gold tops is not the nitro - that turns yellow with age, but with the gold paint itself. There are brass flakes of metal in the paint to give it that metallic finish and it is the brass that oxidises and turns green. I don't know if modern gold paint is done the same way

The turning green of old gold tops is not the nitro - that turns yellow with age, but with the gold paint itself. There are brass flakes of metal in the paint to give it that metallic finish and it is the brass that oxidises and turns green. I don't know if modern gold paint is done the same way
Totally true.

I was fool enough to turn down a 1953 LP with Trapeze tailpiece for $3500 because the underlying paint where the clear coat wore off was starting to turn green. And the case also kinda smelled like mildew.

Mid '90s.

What. Was. I. Thinking.

Back