Refinish - options in Germany / Europe?

Catch33

Hi everyone,

after a long time of pondering the shipping and costs etc. for having my '97 CE refinished at the PTC, I dropped them a lengthy mail with all the ideas and details I considered.

Unfortunately, since I am located in Germany, I only received a short answer, informating me that PRS will be unable to accept any instruments from outside the US, due to the CITES treaty regulations and the attached hassle and paperwork.

While I do understand the circumstances, I would really like my trusty old babe to be given a nice refinish in a different color.

Does anyone have any ideas, input, experience, etc. regarding what I can do to achieve that?

Like, is there a European PTC?
Could I send only the body over? AFAIK, the rosewood fretboard is the problem that falls under the regulations...

Any other options or experiences with German luthiers who can do a PRS grade refinish?

Appreciate any help!

Best

G

Dang, you can't just take it apart and send PRS the body?

I did ask that, but have no answer yet. Would be a rather simple solution I am still hoping for.

Although I assume they won´t even accept the body, since sending any wooden parts across US borders by a guitar company might still trigger customs and regulations that they don´t want to deal with...

Just got feedback from PTC.
They cannot process any non-warranty work from outside the US at all.
So no, unfortunately I cannot send the body...

Die Gesetze sind streng. Ich beschuldige PRS nicht für ihre Entscheidung.

Ich liebe Köln. Sehr schön.

Last edited:
PRS Europe will do this for you as they have done a few refinished, in fact Chris at PRS Europe whom I know personally does amazing refinishing work but it depends on colours etc. If you need help please private message me and I shall put you in contact with them as I know them all personally.

PRS Europe will do this for you as they have done a few refinished, in fact Chris at PRS Europe whom I know personally does amazing refinishing work but it depends on colours etc. If you need help please private message me and I shall put you in contact with them as I know them all personally.

Hi Paul,

thanks for your support!
Meanwhile I have e-mailed with PRS Europe several times and am in contact with their technical manager.
They will indeed do the re-finish at PRS Europe in the UK.

Since I didn´t really care for the whole shipping trouble, I contacted my local musicstore where I bought the instrument and they will organise the whole thing.

If anyone is interested: I´ll let you know how the whole thing turns out....

Cheers

Hi Paul,

thanks for your support!
Meanwhile I have e-mailed with PRS Europe several times and am in contact with their technical manager.
They will indeed do the re-finish at PRS Europe in the UK.

Since I didn´t really care for the whole shipping trouble, I contacted my local musicstore where I bought the instrument and they will organise the whole thing.

If anyone is interested: I´ll let you know how the whole thing turns out....

Cheers
I know it's been a more than few years from the last post,.. but tell me, how the process vent and how much did it cost you,... since Im on the same boat right now,.. but Im in Croatia.

Cheers!
Igor

Interested on this too as my 2005 McCarty has started to show the dreaded white ghosting in some areas, I'm in Spain.

Back