Redwood refinish?

CE-man

I have a `91 Redwood topped Custom 24 that I like very much. The guitar is one of the lighter of my PRS 's and plays well. It has a beautiful top which is almost hidden with a dark cherry stain. The back is black. I'd love to have this guitar refinished in something like violin amber with natural binding to show off the beauty of the wood, in addition having the back done naturally or a little darker would complement the top. I guess I'd have to change the control knobs to gold and pickup rings to cream to complete the look. Can this be done with success?

1991LimitedCustom24Redwood022.jpg

Why not have the entire thing stripped and refinished in natural if your goal is to show off the beauty of the wood?

Yeah that would be nice too. Just something to accentuate what's there. The burl gets lost under that dark red finish now.

I really like it the way it is, but I love red. Have you hollered at Shawn yet?

I wouldn't sand all of the stain out. I think you will achieve your desired effect buy only sanding out some of the stain, and you will be leaving more wood of course. The magicians at PRS would know best. If it was me, I would coat her in V12 too!

I have not talked to Shawn about it yet but before I do, I would like to get some suggestions from you all as to what finish would really make the top stand out.

1991LimitedCustom24Redwood011.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe if they left some of the red in the wood as a base, another color could be added in, and then also sanded some to give a totally new effect. I would lean toward something natural like a faded burgandy, cherry- like stain. The coolest color PRS has is tiger eye, but it has been done alot. Maybe you could be the first to do some sort of faded copperhead/tiger eye burst dragon's breath!!!

I can't help but wonder if that guitar semi-hollow. It's the right era and the right top to be a production version of the Sig LE (I've seen a small handful).

Follow me a sec. Yellow and red makes orange. I think it would likely kill that guitar to sand ALL of that red stain out. That stain is probably in there deep. The main goal here is to make the figure of that wood "pop" right? The most delicate part of sanding a carved top guitar like a PRS is near the edges, so the lip of the edge remains crisp. Therefore I suggest of course removing the finish, then sanding out the center, and then less and less toward the edges. After that is done, fading a yellow or amber stain out from the center. The end result would be a tri-color burst of an amber-ish orange to red, and the grain and figure of that cool wood would be on display. Also, I would go with a V12 finish too......That stuff is the best!!! OR.........Just ship it to PTC and let them surprise you, which would give them a chance to really show off and express themselves I'm sure!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;55887 said:
I can't help but wonder if that guitar semi-hollow. It's the right era and the right top to be a production version of the Sig LE (I've seen a small handful).

I wonder the same thing.

That's a rare guitar indeed. It definitely needs a little tender lovin' at the PTC. As for what color, my vote is for natural, but I would stay in close contact with them as they're removing the finish to see how things go underneath. I had a redwood top parts tele once, it was very pretty but also very delicate! I put a thin nitro finish on it and after maybe a year of being played as a backup guitar, it was pretty well beat up. Almost anything would put a dent or a ding in it. This pic is from just a couple months of playing.

NewBridge.jpg

The guitar is the lightest PRS I presently own. I weighed them all once and this one (if I recall correctly) was in the upper 6 pound /low 7 pound range. I thought it may be chambered but thought it was more just the redwood that reduced the weight.

What about refinishing the back and neck to natural and perhaps just lightening the top some, is that something the PTC could do with good results?

Last edited:
If you just want the top a little lighter shade, perhaps you could just lay it out in the sun for a few hours and let the UV light fade it out? I remember a fellow did that with a blue guitar, and it REALLY made the grain pop! Perhaps take it to a tanning bed with it laying on a towel?

If you do decide to fade it, don't forget Before & After pics!

I certainly will, however I'm still entertaining the idea of going natural on the back and neck and perhaps doing something more with the top. That is if I can find a respectable luthier to take it on. :poke-poke:

Back