Recording question from a rookie

Chris528

I have been wanting to start fooling around with recording at home. I currently have an Apogee Jam that I hook up to my iPad using Jam Up app. I was running a cable from my Blackstar head to the Apogee Jam and plugging guitar into head. My question is can I use a A/B pedal and run one cable to the cab and the other to the Apogee? Also guessing I would have to use a speaker cable to pedal then instrument to Apogee.

Thanks in advance!!

One thing I want to make sure, your not plugging the speaker output of the head into the Jam, are you? That could do damage to both as speaker outputs are high current lines and only designed to drive a speaker. If your using an emulated line or line level output, thats OK.

You could in theory use an A/B and switch between the Blackstar and the Apogee, though I'm not sure why you want to. You would still use instrument, shielded, cable for those connections. "Speaker" cable is not shielded, and is only to be used between a speaker output and a speaker cab.

Another option that I would consider, is using the Apogee One, which is now iOS capable, and miking your cab (assuming you have one) with an SM57 and running that into the software.

Hope that helped!

Well I'm glad I asked because I did a test run by running the output to the Apogee. Like I said I'm new to this.

So I could just get Apogee one and a mic and do it that way?

Yeah I would because I consider my Mesa amp a part of "my" sound. I'm sure you can get good tones using the amp emulation apps available, but it's not the same thing.

I want to use my amp and pedals so I'll look into that. Is their a better interface option for iPad recording? Was lookin at the Focusrite iTrack Solo.

Last edited:
I would choose the Apogee over the Focusrite. Focusrite is great stuff, don't get me wrong. But there's nothing like Apogee. The mic pres and A to D converters are just top notch. There's a reason they cost what they do.

If you need another recommendation, go with the Apogee Duet. You gain the ability to use two mics (which I like to do. Beta57 and MD421) and balanced TRS outputs which are ideal for reference monitors.

BTW, A to D conversion means Analog to Digital conversion. How the interface takes the analog sound coming in and converts it to 0's and 1's.

Ended up getting the Focusrite Itrack Solo and a Sm57 mic. They got here right before work so didn't have much time to mess with it. Got it all set up and will mess with it tomorrow.

I just started recording myself. I'm still a total newbie, but one thing I did learn is to make sure your amp is loud enough to drive the mic. My first attempts sounded thin, but distorted. With enough volume from the amp, my recorded tone was better.

Oh yeah...mic placement is crucial. Closer to the center sounds a little harsh. Moving the mic towards the edge of the speaker cone sounds warmer.

Good luck!

Last edited:
^^^
pick one of the speakers and place the mic off center to begin with with. As Brad 737 said, you can experiment and get a warmer sound by placing the mic to the outside edge of the speaker.

Where is Les?

Back