recording interface

Yes. The original reason I bought an Apollo was so that it could process their plugins without taxing my laptop. You do have to use their plugins (some come with the unit but others can be added on ... wait for sales to buy). They have a software called Console (which is what it looks like on the screen) that comes with it which is used to record (or just monitor) in real time then sent to Live. I use Live also. I have not used a physical console to move the controls on Live, but have you tried a Push 2? The window above gives you access to all parameters of the chosen track.

Another Apollo user into Ableton (Apollo 8 quad).

I haven't jumped in yet, but the Softube Console 1 MkII will control the UAD Console app (no other hardware device will do this). The Softube Console will also natively control a lot (but NOT ALL) of the UAD plug-ins. In terms of integration with the Apollo and UAD, the Softube Console is the best thing going.

A lot of folks are combining the Softube Console with the Presonus Faderport to emulate a desk environment in their UAD/DAW system. I keep saying I'm going to do it, but the Faderport's poor integration with Ableton keeps me from "pulling the trigger". Presonus just released an updated Faderport with claimed improved Ableton integration, but I haven't done anby research into the improvements.

FWIW, I had a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.

I decided to upgrade my recording interface, but wasn't sure whether to spend the money on a software solution (UAD Apollo) or a hardware solution (API The Channel Strip).

So, I bought both with an eye towards selling one of the units once I figured out which direction I was going to go.

I received the Apollo and also purchased the UAD API Vision Console plug-in. I received the API Channel Strip. Now I was able to record "head to head".

I recorded several things using the same mic:

One take would be through the API channel strip into my DAW (via the Apollo) with NO UAD plug-ins
A different take would be directly to the Apollo with the API Vision Console inserted into Console and printed "wet".

Doing this, I was able to compare recordings made directly using API hardware and recordings made with UAD's emulation of API hardware. After matching levels I could not tell a difference.

I LOVED the Channel Strip. It sounded fantastic and provided all the API punch and sound you could ever want. However, I sold it because with the Apollo I get the same API punch AND I can get Neve and Manley and UAD preamps AND amazing emulations of other hardware.

hey, thanks -- i was literally just looking at apollos and noticed a whole bunch of console 1 bundles. makes sense and looks like a great setup. thank god my laptop has a thunderbolt port.

Another Apollo user into Ableton (Apollo 8 quad).

I haven't jumped in yet, but the Softube Console 1 MkII will control the UAD Console app (no other hardware device will do this). The Softube Console will also natively control a lot (but NOT ALL) of the UAD plug-ins. In terms of integration with the Apollo and UAD, the Softube Console is the best thing going.

A lot of folks are combining the Softube Console with the Presonus Faderport to emulate a desk environment in their UAD/DAW system. I keep saying I'm going to do it, but the Faderport's poor integration with Ableton keeps me from "pulling the trigger". Presonus just released an updated Faderport with claimed improved Ableton integration, but I haven't done anby research into the improvements.

I used a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for some time. I then upgraded to a Universal Audio Apollo device. It's safe to say it was a significant jump in power, sound, options, and price. There are a lot of great options out there.

does it ever heat up and crash?

I used a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for some time. I then upgraded to a Universal Audio Apollo device. It's safe to say it was a significant jump in power, sound, options, and price. There are a lot of great options out there.

I LOVED the Channel Strip. It sounded fantastic and provided all the API punch and sound you could ever want. However, I sold it because with the Apollo I get the same API punch AND I can get Neve and Manley and UAD preamps AND amazing emulations of other hardware.

I’d have to agree that the UAD preamp emulations sound great. I’ve had the UA hardware 610 mic preamps, and couldn’t hear much difference, if any. I think the Manley preamp emulation isn’t quite on the level of the Manley hardware preamp. There’s something about the way a vocal or instrument emerges from inky blackness through a Manley mic pre that’s special. But certainly I’m splitting hairs here.

While I’m on the subject, the Helios 69 preamp emulation is special. The EQ alone is worth the price of admission.

I generally print tracks with the preamp emulations (you have the option to print it or print the dry signal). The Apollo is a very good piece of gear!

I use a Roland Octa-Capture. I've also used Creative, Mbox and Yamaha interfaces in the past. The thing i like about the Octa-capture is that it has "smart-sense" auto-levelling function. This is fantastic when say, recording a live band in rehearsal space or venue and you can't easily monitor levels across one or multiple channels. It also helps to ensure that your levels are uniformed when doing multiple takes with multiple instruments over more than one day (and you can't remember the levels you had set for each respective instrument).

I’d have to agree that the UAD preamp emulations sound great. I’ve had the UA hardware 610 mic preamps, and couldn’t hear much difference, if any. I think the Manley preamp emulation isn’t quite on the level of the Manley hardware preamp. There’s something about the way a vocal or instrument emerges from inky blackness through a Manley mic pre that’s special. But certainly I’m splitting hairs here.

While I’m on the subject, the Helios 69 preamp emulation is special. The EQ alone is worth the price of admission.

I generally print tracks with the preamp emulations (you have the option to print it or print the dry signal). The Apollo is a very good piece of gear!

I've never tracked through a real Manley, so I have no real-world comparison. I love the sound of the Manley Voxbox emulation. I have the 1073, the 88RS, the API Vision, and the UAD 610.

I've used the API and the 1073 the most. I have a Cathedral Pipes Notre Dame mic, and had been using the 1073 on that mic as the pre-amp when doing vocal takes. I was finding I had to do more post-processing EQ on my vocals than I wanted. I grabbed the Manley and it changed everything. For my voice, the Manley and Notre Dame combo works well. Given my voice, I 'll take all the help I can get!!!

I haven't tried the Helios yet. I feel pretty good with the API and 1073. I'm getting a feel for the Manley. I'm still pretty inexperienced with the 88RS (although I've had it for quite a while). I keep telling myself not to buy anything else until I know I need it. I want to try the Helios, but .......

I've never tracked through a real Manley, so I have no real-world comparison. I love the sound of the Manley Voxbox emulation. I have the 1073, the 88RS, the API Vision, and the UAD 610.

I've used the API and the 1073 the most. I have a Cathedral Pipes Notre Dame mic, and had been using the 1073 on that mic as the pre-amp when doing vocal takes. I was finding I had to do more post-processing EQ on my vocals than I wanted. I grabbed the Manley and it changed everything. For my voice, the Manley and Notre Dame combo works well. Given my voice, I 'll take all the help I can get!!!

I haven't tried the Helios yet. I feel pretty good with the API and 1073. I'm getting a feel for the Manley. I'm still pretty inexperienced with the 88RS (although I've had it for quite a while). I keep telling myself not to buy anything else until I know I need it. I want to try the Helios, but .......

That Cathedral’s a nice mic!

Like you, I have the 1073, 88RS, API Vision, and UAD emulations as well. I’ve tracked quite a bit through the hardware VoxBox. It has a velvety richness that’s gorgeous, a pleasure to hear. On the other hand, there’s not a lot of gain, so it isn’t my favorite choice with, say, ribbon mics.

The strange thing is that this velvety tone doesn’t sound highly colored; it’s just...nice, rich, perfect. Especially with a good female session vocalist. It doesn’t add the fatness you get pushed with, say, a 610. It stays sweet all the way through its range.

The emulation is close, though. Just missing that one little element that’s hard to put your finger on, but you know it when you hear it.

The Helios emulation is just great with certain voices and sources. I love it on acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass, and male vocals. I don’t know how close it is to the original, since I’ve no experience with the original.

I’ve tracked a lot through hardware 1073s and APIs; the general emulation is pretty close, but again, the hardware does something pushed that’s hard to emulate, and of course, with the 1073, and to a degree the API, that’s where the magic is on those classic preamps.

Bottom line, though, is that I really, really like the UAD preamps, and the Apollo is a great interface. I suppose the question isn’t whether these things sound just like the hardware, it’s whether they sound good in and of themselves, and of course, they do.

Last edited:
Back