Recording from effects send?

dmatthews

Dave's not here
Hi all,
Curious to know if anyone uses the effects send jack for recording direct in? Some amps don't include things like reverb in the send jack.
My amp is the 2 channel H combo.
Reason I'm asking is that I'd like to record our band live at practice and think maybe direct would be better than the bleed of micing the front...
Opinions welcome!
:?:

ArtG said:
Mike it Dave! :D

I done diddly did that sir.
Got what I wanted, but not what I need... yet...
I think I'm going to get myself 2 more SM57s, another short mic stand for my H, and a medium height stand for my lead players' Boogie Express.
Money money money makes the world go around...
:mrgreen:

You could record direct that way, but i doubt you would enjoy the results. The bleed coming into your guitar mic shouldn't be all that bad if you decouple your amp from your rehearsal room floor.The speaker itself is an important filter/tone shaper, and without it you may notice a rather brittle timbre. Try it both ways and see what you think.

Your best bet if you need a direct out is one of the units like a Redbox.

lg_Redbox_Classic.jpg

You can use this one (right side) between the amp and the speaker cabinet just by using some speaker jumpers. The direct out is tamed down and EQ'd to simulate a speaker cabinet. I have two. I've used one on guitars when it was difficult environment to mic the amp (windy outside gig), but the other is used to run a direct signal from the bassist.

Ive recorded myself before using the Effects out, but you would have to:

1) still remain plugged in to your cabinet to handle the load (you can use an attenuator if you have one that can handle the
load, but why risk it. Also start with your MV at 0 and gradually increase the volume to your liking.

2) have the effects line go into an audio interface. Then in the designated recording track, load some sort of cabinet
impulses (IR's) in your DAW to process the amp tone.

A lot of people don't realize that the pure sound of an amp head actually sounds like tine-y, fuzzy nonesense until its processed through a speaker/cabinet :lol:

Here is a video of someone running through cabinet impulses using a real head like I explained.

[youtube:24jrsfk2]9JUm3VGwZJQ[/youtube:24jrsfk2]

Baimun said:
Your best bet if you need a direct out is one of the units like a Redbox.

lg_Redbox_Classic.jpg

You can use this one (right side) between the amp and the speaker cabinet just by using some speaker jumpers. The direct out is tamed down and EQ'd to simulate a speaker cabinet. I have two. I've used one on guitars when it was difficult environment to mic the amp (windy outside gig), but the other is used to run a direct signal from the bassist.
That's a great idea. Heck I've owned one of these for 20+ years and totally forgot about it! They sound really good, if you're shooting for a Marshall 1960 cab + SM57 sound.

themike said:
A lot of people don't realize that the pure sound of an amp head actually sounds like tine-y, fuzzy nonesense until its processed through a speaker/cabinet :lol:

It's not just the speaker. The output transformer in a tube amp is responsible for a huge part of the tube sound. An output transformer operates like a variable band-pass filter in that bandwidth narrows as the core reaches magnetic saturation, effectively chopping off the bottom and top frequencies.

Tube output stages are also poorly damped, which leads to another phenomenon; namely, back electromotive force (EMF). Like guitar pickups, speakers are magnetic transducers. Magnetic transducers convert vibrations within a magnetic field into an electrical signal and vice versa. When we apply a signal to the voice coil, we produce an oscillating magnetic field that interacts with the speaker magnet to vibrate the speaker cone. However, because the voice coil is a coil of wire that is moving through a magnetic field, it also produces electricity. This electricity is fed back into the amp via the output transformer. Because the output stage of a tube amp is poorly damped, this generated electricity mixes with the guitar signal in the output stage and is fed back to the speaker. Back EMF is responsible for creating frequency components that are not present in the original signal.

What a great bunch of suggestions! :D
When I posted this I thought it was dead after a couple of days of no response. I might look at the cab sim thing... that is really cool. Right now gonna go for the cab mic thing.
Here's a clip of that method using a Zoom R16 at practice. It's just practice OK? :lol: Oh... and the drummer is my good friend but we don't play together in the band... missed the ending...
Anyway...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27722456/Zoom/L ... Sister.mp3

I'm doing the signature (ok whatever Dave) lick and rhythm part. My buddy does the lead part.
I just got the Zoom last Friday and am learning how to mix it...
Any and all comments pos or neg are welcome!
:oops:
Ohhh... BTW... My part done on my Mira, and my H combo mic'd... ;)

Back