Recommendations for Good Sounding Quiet Amps

Steven Mal

I have a Blackstar HT-5, and I love it, but it sounds best only when played loudly. I'm looking for an non-tube amp that will sound good played quietly and whose tone can be shaped at lower volumes. In other words, an amp that doesn't need to be cranked loud to sound good. I've seen many, many good reviews for the Boss Katana amps but I know that solid state amps can sound good without having to be played loudly. Is the Boss Katana 50 MKII a good choice for a quiet amp or is there a solid state amp that would be a better choice?

I picked up a thr for this too. It's being listed for sale as it's been collecting dust since the kemper, although at a considerable price difference. It's strongest attribute for me is the portability. I also have a spark at the girlfriend's house for another option to check out that I've been happy with.

Another vote for the THR. I also have a Blackstar HT5 (which is an awesome amp btw) but find myself playing through the Yamaha much more frequently. It's just so easy and sounds fantastic. Really kind of hard to believe how good it sounds sometimes.

I'm not sure if it has to to be an amp but another suggestion I use for travel and late late nights anywhere around the house are the Boss Waza Air headphones. They won't replace an amp but are pretty freakin' cool and have come in handy more times than I can count.

The Boss Katana Amps are very quiet with regards to humm and hiss, almost sterile.But good amps none the less. I have a Katana Mini that use as a bench amp and hotel travel amp. It can be very quiet but still produce good tones. I also have a NUX Headphone amp that can emulate 6 or 7 different amp types plus effects and drum tracks.

Oddball recommendation here… load box/IR loader like the Torpedo Captor X or similar, and a set of decent monitors. You’ll be able to use any tube amp you want, crank it up for the goods, and get plenty of other uses out of it as well.

Any of the recent Line6 modelers are great if you don’t want to spring for Kemper (Helix, Pod Go, etc).

As far as quiet amps in general I love my Dr.Z Cure as an indoor amp. It maintains gain structure very well even down near minimal output.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Kemper sounds nice but pricey. The Yamaha THR 10 is tempting. Got any tips or advice for a newbie who has never used a modelling amp? What about any solid-state amps for $250?

As a guitar teacher, I recommend the Katana 50 to my students. The .5-watt setting is great for home use. It also has 25- and 50-watt settings, that can take you to gig level volumes. Another reason the I recommend the Katana's, is the built-in effects. It can save you hundreds of dollars in pedals. I have found the Boss amps to be very reliable, for their price. As a working musician, I have worn out three, 50-watt, Vox, modeling amps, in less than two years, each.

On the down side, I find that I only get sounds that I'm happy with, are on the Crunch channel. This includes clean to overdrive. I have found it easy to dial-in Tweed and Marshal tones, on the Katana. You can then save those patches, once you find what you like. It also has an Overdrive effect that is useful. You don't have to do any deep editing, in order to get good sounds.

Although I have better digital and tube amps, my Katana tends to get the most use. I liked it enough that I have also bought a Boss, NexTone Stage. It is a simpler amp, that sounds and responds more like a tube amp. YMMV!

Last edited:
Back