Reclaimed Wood CE24 in build again?

On the subject of patience, you have not read the whole thread. The order is now cancelled.

From what you say I have been misled. The dealer also told me that wood stock had been an issue. It would have been nice to get any kind of genuine explanation over the course of the last 15 weeks. I was not impatient, but grew tired of being continuously fobbed off but otherwise ignored.

The fact that Andertons are promised further reclaimed models (I have spoken to them and they expect four CE24s) before fulfilling GV's order added greatly to my misgivings about the whole affair.

I'm sorry you feel as though you were given misleading information, but I believe it was simple misunderstanding without malice. Orders are fulfilled on a first come, first serve basis, so if dealer A is indeed slated to receive additional guitars before dealer B, I can only assume that dealer A placed their order first. Also, PRS does not receive payment from dealers of distributors until a guitar has been delivered to them. If your dealer requires prepayment or a deposit, that reflects their store policy, PRS does not receive any deposit or prepayment for guitars while the guitar is still in the production process.

You shouldn’t be directing the attitude toward Shawn, he took the time to type out a lengthy response to you explaining the issue despite being ON VACATION right now. That’s really uncool of you, IMO. I understand being upset, but that should be directed at the store. If they knew they were not going to get them for months, the dealer shouldn’t have had you pay full price for it up front. Most dealers wouldn’t charge you the full price up front if the guitar wasn’t showing up for an extended period of time, that’s not a PRS policy or anything so that piece should also be taken up with your dealer. If the dealer misled you about the timing, that’s one thing... but no one at PRS promised a guitar in your hands within a specific window of time and as Shawn explained they didn’t have facility space to dry out all the reclaimed woods from the run simultaneously so yes, there was a delay for some orders. I had heard customs for UK orders were also an issue but I don’t think yours was part of that as that happened months ago.

Again don’t misunderstand me, I do think it’s crappy that the dealer didn’t appear to be straight with you, but I’ve spoken directly with Shawn before and he’s one of the nicest dudes around (as evidenced by typing up a reply to you when he’s out of town on vacation) so it’s pretty unfair to be giving him such a rude response. Sorry it didn’t work out, maybe you can talk to Anderton’s and see if you can pre-order one of theirs without paying for it in full? I have a Reclaimed Vela and it’s pretty awesome, so personally I’d have to say it would be worth the wait!

Hi,

I just re-read my post you you take issue with. It doesn't read that I am criticising Shaun. If it did, it would be unintentional & I would set that right. My issue is with the store.

I have not been here long. I dont know Shaun, nor his holiday schedule. If you misunderstood me, thats fine. If not, then show me where I have disrespected Shaun. Or do neither if that suits you.

I have now reordered the same guitar from another source.

Hi,

I just re-read my post you you take issue with. It doesn't read that I am criticising Shaun. If it did, it would be unintentional & I would set that right. My issue is with the store.

I have not been here long. I dont know Shaun, nor his holiday schedule. If you misunderstood me, thats fine. If not, then show me where I have disrespected Shaun. Or do neither if that suits you.

I have now reordered the same guitar from another source.
Merciful. The guys on here are protective of Shawn, because he is one a few staff that regularly contributes, taking time to give us information from the “horses mouth” so to speak.

He very kindly shared with us, his “15 year employee guitar”.

I think the line about “you haven’t read the whole thread” (or similar) was what was objected to.

Most people on here have a wealth of knowledge and are only too happy to share.

If you have any knowledge of timber preparation, you may know it is not an exact science. Different woods react differently to the same environment and even two pieces can behave differently, when prepared in the same way.

Shawn was trying to give you a little “nugget” of information from the factory floor. Something that most other companies wouldn’t do.

As has already been said, your issue is with the shop who took full payment and then gave you lousy service!

Good luck with your purchase with the new supplier and I hope you have many hours of enjoyment from your guitar when it arrives. I haven’t been able to play a “reclaimed” series, but the videos of them sounded amazing.

I'm sorry you feel as though you were given misleading information, but I believe it was simple misunderstanding without malice. Orders are fulfilled on a first come, first serve basis, so if dealer A is indeed slated to receive additional guitars before dealer B, I can only assume that dealer A placed their order first. Also, PRS does not receive payment from dealers of distributors until a guitar has been delivered to them. If your dealer requires prepayment or a deposit, that reflects their store policy, PRS does not receive any deposit or prepayment for guitars while the guitar is still in the production process.

Shawn, I'm sorry if there was confusion/offence. There were two reasons why it was apparent to me that you had not read my last post before posting. It happens to all of us. I was trying to clarify matters, not make accusations.

I understand that PRS deals with the vendor and that is clear. GV had been my very favourite music shop, so I am doubly disappointed at the way things have gone with them. Best wishes & enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Just as an aside, there’s usually a fairly long wait for a special order. It’s not unusual with higher end guitars whose products are in demand.

I’ve waited a lot longer than 3-4 months for some of mine over the years (not just PRS, though I’m all-PRS now).

Yep, I’m waiting for an S2 Studio now. I preordered it recently, and not expected to ship til late june. But at least they told me it would take some time. Sorry to hear about your troubles merciful, I know that getting the runaround can be frustrating. :mad:

I am eyeing one of these up, somewhat tentatively. I can't get anywhere to try one, but would someone be able to say how a Reclaimed CE24 would sound next to a regular CE24 or, more importantly to my guess, my SE24?

I've seen a couple of videos but, what can they really tell you?

I've heard some say more top end in the Reclaimed, some say less.

Maybe its all subjective?

I am eyeing one of these up, somewhat tentatively. I can't get anywhere to try one, but would someone be able to say how a Reclaimed CE24 would sound next to a regular CE24 or, more importantly to my guess, my SE24?

Certainly from the sound bites that were in the “promo” for the reclaimed, the tops sounded very resonant, even with just being tapped!

I know this has been posted before, but I just love this video!

And Michael is getting his 30 year “employee guitar” top made from some of this timber!

So it should give you an idea that it’s good stuff!!

Often a little more top end results in a richer neck pickup sound. I have no idea if this is the case.
This is the trouble. Until you play one you really don't know!
I too have a SECustom24 and its my only PRS.

Today is the date that the guitar was due in. That's now been put back another 5 days. The good news for me is that I have now been refunded by GV.

Everything says this CE should be a great fit for me.

I know Paul has enthusiasm about the pickups (well he's pretty enthusiastic anyway... :) ).
I hope the bolt-on design may add to the sound positively.
The acoustic chamber should add some subtle warmth (they typically do).

But the proof is in the pudding. That's why I will travel to the shop to collect. I need to try it. At least this time I have only had to put down 10%, and that is refundable if needed.

So I have a custom 24 with a maple neck and swamp ash body along with the reclaimed CE24, both have 85/15 pickups set to the same height.

To my ears, the reclaimed CE24 has a warmer sound with a more laid back attack. It's also extremely resonant and louder unplugged than the custom 24. I was initially worried about the custom being redundant to the CE but they both have their own voice and feel so I like having the variety between the two.

I'm in year 7 for an archtop. Yes it's a long time, but the circumstances are bizarre, including 1 divorce for both the luthier and I, and acrimony from the exes.

I've posted this video before but here's my instructor playing my Reclaimed CE 24 the day after I got it.

I watched this video soon after the release of the RL and was blown away by the guitar but also and equally by the gents playing! Nice feel :D

So today the e-mail arrives...

Our suppliers have informed us that the following item(s) on your order are discontinued.
PRS CE24 Semi-Hollow Reclaimed Wood Series

That’s the nature of a limited series. There was only a limited amount of wood to start with. I’m sure many dealers could have sold more of them, but when the wood is gone, what else can be done?

The same thing is happening with the Silver Sky. PRS could probably sell 1000 or more with the badged hard case, but only the first 500 will have one. The only difference is this time it is by design, not supply.

The key word here is “limited.”

Back