Received the e-mail from Bev

Maybe it's seven strings, just not all on the same guitar.... hehehe

Actually, I'm eager to see the 7 string demo to get a better sense of how the extra string adds to the mix.

Yeah man, I encourage everyone to play it. I mean I dont know if I conveyed it on this new board, but when I started the initial thread on BAM back in the day I said that I am not even a sevenstring player really - I just knew the market very well and was upset to see people paying LARGE amounts of money to these private luthiers and overseas companies for 7 strings that when you asked them a majority of them would say "oh id prefer a PRS 7, but they don't have one". So that really was what started the whole thing as I love nothing more than people becoming part of the PRS family. The company rules for more reasons than I can explain and everyone knows it :)

Maybe it's seven strings, just not all on the same guitar.... hehehe

Actually, I'm eager to see the 7 string demo to get a better sense of how the extra string adds to the mix.

Steve Vai started toying around with 7-strings in the eighties. The first configuration that he used added a high-A string to a standard-tuned 6-string (EADGBEA), but Steve kept breaking the high-A. He finally settled on a low-B string (BEADGBE). Korn is usually the band that receives credit for popularizing the 7-string. They were one of the bands that pioneered the "how low can I go" movement that is a staple of modern heavy guitar. The advantage of using a 7-string over a drop-tuned 6-string is that it retains all of the standard-tuned guitar chord voicings and scale patterns if one ignores the low-B while expanding the range of the instrument.

7 string = Themike Signature Model

Does that mean I get artist cost?
rofl.gif

Steve Vai started toying around with 7-strings in the eighties. The first configuration that he used added a high-A string to a standard-tuned 6-string (EADGBEA), but Steve kept breaking the high-A. He finally settled on a low-B string (BEADGBE). Korn is usually the band that receives credit for popularizing the 7-string. They were one of the bands that pioneered the "how low can I go" movement that is a staple of modern heavy guitar. The advantage of using a 7-string over a drop-tuned 6-string is that it retains all of the standard-tuned guitar chord voicings and scale patterns if one ignores the low-B while expanding the range of the instrument.
I tried a few 7 strings guitars but the low B always made me confuse. So I got a Se Mike Mushok baritone and it's more my thing, but it's been more then 10 years since I tried those 7 strings. I will give it another shot

The advantage of using a 7-string over a drop-tuned 6-string is that it retains all of the standard-tuned guitar chord voicings and scale patterns if one ignores the low-B while expanding the range of the instrument.
Same applies to 5-string bass. It was incredibly difficult for me to make the transition to a 5-string in the early 90's. That is to say, I struggled to get back to a place when I could play my bass without constantly focusing on where I was. To this day, I won't pick up and play a 4-string for fear of regressing.

Ironically, I don't think it will be as hard for me to alternate between 6 and 7 string guitar. But I'm going to find out! :D

Same applies to 5-string bass. It was incredibly difficult for me to make the transition to a 5-string in the early 90's. That is to say, I struggled to get back to a place when I could play my bass without constantly focusing on where I was. To this day, I won't pick up and play a 4-string for fear of regressing.

The only reason I still have a 5 string Bass............................. Hansomatic!

It's like this - take 7-string, tune it to Drop-A, plug it into a bass amplifier (via a killer distortion like Electro Harmonix Metal Muff) and you won't have trouble with ANYTHING EVER =D

Drop A is nothing - I think you need to try Drop E ;) haha

It's like this - take 7-string, tune it to Drop-A, plug it into a bass amplifier (via a killer distortion like Electro Harmonix Metal Muff) and you won't have trouble with ANYTHING EVER =D
I'm running my baritone through a vintage B-15... 2 and 1/2 steps down. :eek:

Drop A is nothing - I think you need to try Drop E ;) haha

No... NO! That's CRAZY! haha

Actually, with the help of Morpheus DropTune pedal, I can drop the whole thing pretty much wherever I want... (on top of my feet for example)

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;20296 said:
I'm running my baritone through a vintage B-15... 2 and 1/2 steps down. :eek:

Super awesome! All the strings tuned down?

This is going to be great! Grissom and Termonti on the same night. Woohoo. Maybe this year I'll make it to the amp room. Totally missed out last year.

I don't see Tremonti on the schedule? How did I miss that?

Back