Really hate to have to ask this question

John Armsby

Hi all
I know it’s just my second post but I’m going to have to ask if I’ve been duped.
I know a bit about PRS but no expert as you will find out. I bought this one secondhand a couple of months ago and plays great but there’s a coupe of things I’m not certain about that’s forcing me to ask if I’ve bought a fake.
What’s nagging me?
The cream pup surrounds are more yellow than the zebra pickups
Is this a PRS model, yes they have whale blue as a lefty model for 2019 but this is showing as 2020 serial
I’m also not certain if this is the right color for whale blue as I see a lot of different lighter samples on the web
What’s also niggling is I’ve tried to contact the vendor to see if she had the trem as it was missing and I didn’t notice and we met in a carpark so more dodging but it was Covid lockdown in my city

Sorry it won’t let me post a photo yet and I hit post by accident, I will upload a few photos once it allows me to
Sorry

You need 5 posts or something like that for pics and they have to be hosted on another site.

PRS fakes I've seen you can tell right away by more than color shades off. Whale blue varies a lot. I have one thats purple in most lighting that I wouldn't believe was whale blue looking at it or by pics. I recently replaced the pots and underneath the knobs was clearly a lot more blue than the rest of the guitar in all lighting.

Missing trems are common.

Where does it say the guitar was made?

You need 5 posts or something like that for pics and they have to be hosted on another site.

PRS fakes I've seen you can tell right away by more than color shades off. Whale blue varies a lot. I have one thats purple in most lighting that I wouldn't believe was whale blue looking at it or by pics. I recently replaced the pots and underneath the knobs was clearly a lot more blue than the rest of the guitar in all lighting.

Serial is CTIB so Cort factory and switch says cor-tek on side of it
Originally PRs had this serial as only 2020 and it’s supposed to be 2019 colour but o can see they’ve changed it to now be 2019 as well

The other thing was the nut is the widest I own other than my Martin 12 string so people thought that was odd and it is as heavy as my les paul, damn heavy which others said is not usually th Le case

Serial is CTIB so Cort factory and switch says cor-tek on side of it
Originally PRs had this serial as only 2020 and it’s supposed to be 2019 colour but o can see they’ve changed it to now be 2019 as well

Yes, CTIB is 2019 and 2020. Whale blue is an iconic PRS color that will probably always be offered. True, its not typical but my 30th se cu24 floyd is LP heavy too. Being second hand the previous owner could have swapped the nut. Its pretty common for se owners to do if they're having tuning stability issues. I agree pics are the best way to sort it out.

The pickup rings are not always the same color. The nut? I always recommend you have the guitar set up by someone who has worked on PRS before. The weight. Usual? You bought a guitar, not a McDonalds hamburger. They’re not all supposed to look the same or feel the same. I’m not trying to be harsh, but some of us spend years looking for the right combination of weight, looks, feel, and sound. When you find the guitar that speaks to you don’t sell it. But always expect variety, even in the same model.

Back