Real Talk: I think I could do it all with a Sonzera and an SE.

sergiodeblanc

Maybe add a couple of Boss pedals or another one of those all-in-one foot pedals... I could do it. I mean, sure, maybe I wouldn't enjoy myself as much but... I think I could honestly hit maybe 90% of my enjoyment and tone level without my pile of esoteric fancy pants gear.

Now, I'm not sayin' I would actually ever do that... but the sh!t PRS is putting out on a budget now is ridiculous.

So, just for the sake of fun, if you had to, what do you think you'd be able to live comfortably with outta the cheaper line?

Here's the link for guitars: http://www.prsguitars.com/products/se/

I think I could do a Sonzera 50, a SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow, and either a Santana Standard or Santana model. I honestly believe that could cover about all my needs.

How about you?

Hell yeah man! Sure I don't NEED all this crap, but it sure is fun.

Give me an HSS SE EG with trem and a Sonzera. My current pedal board isn't boutique and it's small so that should qualify. And hell, the Sonzera costs more than my regular gig amp anyway. Ready to go!

Getting a Tremonti SE and the new MT-15 would basically just be a scaled down version of my main rig now, which I use for about 99% of my playing now. No doubt it would be a solid sounding setup. One of those multi-foil SE's would be pretty cool, but wouldn't be pressing in this situation.

I'm sure everyone probably thinks I'm a Tremonti fanboy. I guess that'd be true, but his sonic ranges just match up with what I like, and I came from playing LP's so the single cut with the trem. was what I needed. Oh well :rolleyes:

Either way, would be okay with me!

Because I'm so much of a jazz cat these days it would be hard to pull off, even the semi hollow SE's don't produce the tone I need, although oddly enough the Zach neck pup get's the closest to a jazz tone that I've tried.

If I just wanted to go Fusion about things any semi hollow SE would do, even a Solid SE with a pup swap would work, but for pure clean mid heavy jazz tone I'd be left wanting.

Because I'm so much of a jazz cat these days it would be hard to pull off, even the semi hollow SE's don't produce the tone I need, although oddly enough the Zach neck pup get's the closest to a jazz tone that I've tried.

If I just wanted to go Fusion about things any semi hollow SE would do, even a Solid SE with a pup swap would work, but for pure clean mid heavy jazz tone I'd be left wanting.

Man, if they could pull off a big bodied SE JA-15 or something to compete with Artcore's and Epiphones.... Watch out!

SE Custom 22 + 245 + possibly a Chris Robertson. They are all great guitars. They aren't as pretty, and I would miss that, even with the slight accidental relic'ing I seem to be applying to it as it goes out and about with me :oops:

Ha, I wish I could get by with such a small amount of gear. Kemper+a few pedals+S's+T's+my CE24 would be bare minimum.

Have not played a Sonzera but I agree that the right SE can kill it. My Bernie with a few choice mods is a terrific playing and sounding guitar (59/09’s, low friction volume pots, reverse the bridge and neck volume pot location, Gibson amber speed knobs, MannMade 2300 adjustable stoptail bridge, soon to be bone nut). I strongly hope the Mayer strat is also released as an SE and I will grab one happily.

No. I mean I could do it and have done it on lesser gear, but I don't want to. Not anymore. When I first started gigging in the late 70's, it was LP copies and transistor amps----all i could afford. I made it work, got paid and didn't know any better.

Now I do. And the differences with great gear is truly inspirational, IMO.

I LOVE my 2003 Santana II. I don't like any of the SE or S2 or whatever Santana's. Not even close to the same guitar IMO.

I have a custom made/prototype Matchless amp that ended my amp quest in 2006.

I applaud the quality of the import guitars now. They are soooo much better than what i grew up with, but I have no desire to own one.

Currently, I am gigging - and loving whole heartedly - an S2 Singlecut Standard. That plugs into a Line 6 Helix rack (where I only use ONE preset - where I tone matched my Rivera M60/EVM12L 1x12 cab).

Here's a video (be kind, lol) review of the S2 SC Standard:

BUT, if I had to go SE, I could do it with an SE245 (and have before). Shoot, I was always a BIG fan of the SE30 amp, too. Never got one because my Rivera amps were/are PERFECT for me....but with an SE245 and an SE30 I could be satisfied!

Hmmm. I'd probably go with a ZM or maybe the newer Chris Robertson. I'd have the bank on the new MT-15 as that's the only high gainer. I played a Sonzera 20 combo recently. Loved the clean channel and while I liked the channel 2, it doesn't have the voicing I need for my normal sound.

My SE 30 amp goes to the grave with me, in spite of the fact that it's 60lbs. That's what a hand truck is for. The guitar? My SE 30th Anni Custom 24, or My SE Singlecut trem, or my Singlecut with 2 p-90's, or my SE
EG, or my SE Tremonti or Tremonti custom........................any of them. All have been modified to my liking. Like Sergio said, it'll get me 90% of the way there.

Last edited:
Dont know enough about the Sonzera, but I will take ashot with one. That, A SE ZM, SE Santana Standard, SE JM Strat style thing, and I will agree with you. Assuming the amp works with me and I will assume so, I could get most of my tone with that. Giddy Up!!

Hey, I did a whole 80 minute long gig last week with a Carvin Bolt T HSS and a Roland Micro Cube.

Yes, I’m serious. Playing with all unamplified acoustic instruments except myself and the bass player so I have to keep the volume low. I’ve done this gig before with my VibroChamp XD and it was on 2 on the champ setting so I figured I’d just take the Micro Cube. I’ll probably take the Mustang Mini next time but I need to work on my cleaner presets a bit first.

Now, if you’re asking me if I could be happy with JUST that rig, then no. Well, it depends. When I was young I would have killed for a guitar that nice and an amp that had multiple tones at low volumes so I could play any time I wanted. But now, I’m spoiled. A couple cores and an Archon will do that to you.

But with MT15 amp, yes, so I’m sure an SE guitar would cover it. In fact, might as well just make it a pair and get the Tremonti.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... I would say, probably my Akesson, and either the ZM or a Custom 22 semi from the SE line, and a Sonzera 50 or one of the higher wattage MT's that will be coming. Heck, I already did pretty much this for a few years, and was happy with it.

If I really wanted to set myself up, it would be an S2 Mira and my Custom 50.

Also, Wedge, props to you for switching your 4-knob controls around. My Akesson came stock like that, I liked it so much I rearranged my ZM as well.

Back