Ready for Her Close-Up

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Here are some recent professional pics of my lovely S2 Singlecut Standard. No-frills, no extra appointments, an ordinary plain jane that is still a thing of beauty in my view. Hot off the presses...

ls2zxEJ.jpg

nWXDXki.jpg

74Sx451.jpg

rjXxcv3.jpg

lTikcYk.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet! I still want a charcoal satin std of the same.

I can just tell this guitar is going to get a good workout! Enjoy. I have an S2 Studio - same color. You have good taste :D

Had been hemming and hawing about what type pickups should swap out for the #7(S)'. Settled on some Seymour Duncan SH-1n '59 (neck) and Saturday Night Special (bridge). (After returning some NIB unopened Fralins)

The YT clips convinced me. The SNS is somewhere between a SH-4 JB and a SH-1 '59. Doesn't break up too soon, not too late. Somewhere in-between. The '59 will be warm, not too dark, but plenty of clarity and headroom for blues and jazz rhythm/lead, the SNS can cut through the mix for blues, funk, rock leads.

Reactions: CVS
I can just tell this guitar is going to get a good workout! Enjoy. I have an S2 Studio - same color. You have good taste :D

Thanks for the kind words, the photographer did the guitar justice, I just put her in the correct spots with some imagination (the riser footstools) that did the job.

Had been hemming and hawing about what type pickups should swap out for the #7(S)'. Settled on some Seymour Duncan SH-1n '59 (neck) and Saturday Night Special (bridge). (After returning some NIB unopened Fralins)

The YT clips convinced me. The SNS is somewhere between a SH-4 JB and a SH-1 '59. Doesn't break up too soon, not too late. Somewhere in-between. The '59 will be warm, not too dark, but plenty of clarity and headroom for blues and jazz rhythm/lead, the SNS can cut through the mix for blues, funk, rock leads.
I can't wait for your report!

These are great photos. I love the look of this simple S2. Looking forward to hearing what pups you decide to put in it.

I can't wait for your report!

Am hoping that I’ve already done my shopping and the ‘59 and SNS will do the job. I’d prefer to not guess what flavor the pickups will have, but will likely be “tasty” nonetheless...

Heck, even breadcrumbs would taste good, though it pays to have “something solid” to enjoy.

I think life should be more than “morning coffee and toast”, so the simple amenities and enjoyable decoration should add to my living room appeal. Will be printing at least one 8x10 similar to my avatar that will make it to my walls. My other pic has me looking rather curmudgeonly, so pardon if that won’t be shared online.

These are great photos. I love the look of this simple S2. Looking forward to hearing what pups you decide to put in it.

The Seymour Duncan SH-1n '59 (neck) & Saturday Night Special (bridge) arrived this morning.

My question to you folks is, I've also got some Mallory .047 micro ƒ caps that, according to Seymour Duncan's wiring diagrams, are supposed to replace the existing resistors and capacitors (the 1.1K / 2.2K and .022 micro ƒs ).

Not knowing what the .047s would sound like myself, I'm looking for a more traditional LP tone from the Seymour Duncans, something with more warmth, depth and clarity, and am wondering if a mod of the caps and resistors would offer that?

Or would it be wise to just keep the existing electronics and hope for the best? My problem is that it'll cost me double the cost of labor if I keep the existing caps and resistors and find out the tone isn't how the YT vids display.

I've just asked Shawn from the PTC page about this; hopefully we'll learn about this soon.

Love the look of that thing! Nice photos, too.

Thanks. Just got off the phone with a GC tech. GC said that swapping out the .022 caps for .047s would create warmer, more lower midrange tones, and keeping the existing resistor values might be for treble bleed, trying to keep any existing chime and sparkle, so not touching those.

I think that is my goal. Will know hopefully this weekend if the pickup and caps replacements do the job...

Tone Report:

For those who missed out on the separate news, it was determined that no pickup changes, no capacitor or resistor swaps, nor potentiometer mods need occur.

With a simple adjustment of the #7S' pickups' height (upwards, downwards, back up slightly) the tone went from bright and subdued to muddy and quacky, then to the "Goldilocks" zone. (For those who don't know this term, it is a term used by astrophysicists to describe the region where the Earth's solar system exists in the Milky Way Galaxy. Perfect to sustain life.)

All that was required separate from the guitar were some gain, level, and tone adjustments within my guitar effects pedalboard. My other guitar (a non-PRS Tele) just requires a volume adjustment at the amp level to offset the lower output of the Tele's pickups. The effects' levels can remain consistent with both guitars.

The tone can best be described as wider ranged and more balanced, going from muted jazz neck tones (tone knobs dialed back) to bright funk bridge ones (tone knobs dimed) with the coil-taps lifted. In between ranges from rock and blues nicely. When pushed (boost & compressor always on) the tone is clean with plenty of volume headroom, clean even when volume is about 8 and only begins to saturate mildly at 10. With my Blue Note (hot switch down to low gain) the guitar sings without any crunch, but more of a violin-like tone that blues and jazz purists crave. Even with the hot switch up, there's really not any crunch going on, just singing overdrive with lots of volume.

I'd likely consider evaluating and reviewing my effects pedalboard again so that a good clean tone can be derived with just the compressor, then use the boost/overdrive for pushed tones alone, or with the Blue Note for leads and solos, or the Blue Note without the boost/overdrive for backing rhythms. My reverb/delay is almost always on as well as my noise gate, for cleaning up any residual noise in the circuit. That evaluation might occur Saturday when time allows.

Have not tried playing any backing tracks to the guitar's recent adjustments, just some noodling. And perhaps I'll address the folks who might like to know how I arrived regards my decision to maintain the guitar's originality and integrity.

TBH, it was a series of phone calls and emails to sales reps, guitar techs and the PTC crew who helped tremendously in this endeavor. Thanks to all that participated.

Last edited:
Very classy looking! Beautiful. Sometimes the simplest guitars become favorites.

Thanks! The lil' nipper did well in photo session, and with a little photo editing, the vignette shading makes the images even nicer-looking. A nice balance between sweet and sour, savory and seasoned, in food language, my expertise...

Back