Reading

But in my parents mind back in 70’s education was the key to everything.
And you right there are many different pathways to the road of success.
My son is a heavy equipment operator and his benefits, ot and salary are incredible. He makes 6 figures and then some. He was in the right place at the right time. And the bonus is he loves his job.

If I could do my life over again a heavy equipment op is what I should of been. I still to this day love watching these vehicles operate. I know I would of been very good at this. Give me a construction site to watch any day of the week and I am ecstatic. It’s fascinating to watch. Much as I could sit in the garden and watch the ants work on their colonies. Just fascinating lol
In the 70s, education was the key. It was also much cheaper than today. I don’t think my tuition at the top engineering school in the country was ever over $1k for a semester. The school helped me get good paying work terms, so I graduated with maybe $2k in loans, which I paid off my first year out of school.

There is a lot of shifting going on in the dynamics of this equation. I've closed 4 mortgages in the last 7 days. Interesting to review them in relation to this statement, which I agree, is normally accepted.

1- A teacher with a masters degree. She has moved up to "director of gifted program" and is up 10k per year from last year, now making $56K salary. Has $114K in student loans, and $2500 total in checking and savings accounts.
2- Factory worker, 21 years old. No debt, and put down $30,000 to buy his first home, all of which he has saved in the last two years. Makes $30/hr and gets OT at $45. After putting $30K down, still has $15K in the bank. Made $78K last year.
3- Maintenance supervisor for a company (same one as #2). $38/hr wage - $79K/year base. Made $95K with OT last year. Put $50K down on his home, and still has $22K in the bank. All saved in the last two years.
4- a pollice officer with a masters in criminology- $76K income last year, down to $75K in student loans.

I think teachers are very important, and underpaid. But the dynamics of this are shifting and unless college costs get under control, it's going to be harder and harder to justify ANY expensive college, for anything but higher paying jobs. One financial guru recently cited a student going to a $50K/year college to get an education degree, JUST because that's where her father went. Things like this do not make financial sense. And I'm only using teachers as an example... there are many others. A few months ago I have to turn down a lady who had a masters in psychiatry because she makes $40K/year as a social worker and had $120K in student loans.

I'm not questioning peoples callings or life objectives, but as was pointed out buy the financial expert, community college the fist two years, commuting the next 2-3 and getting the masters online would have saved any of the above over $100K
A big thing in Academia right now has graduate students really exploring the return on investment that comes with graduate degrees. I know when I was looking at a doctorate it was going to cost me somewhere in the realm of $125,000.00 for the degree but the payout would be somewhere around an extra $5.00 or $10.400.00 per year. While that sounds decent the 2nd Masters degree equated to costing $27,000 but would pay out almost $40,000 more per year to start. So for me this was a no brainer.

Things like a Masters degree in accounting is looked at having a poor return on investment compared to taking the tests for the CPA exam.

We are also in an age where college is no longer a necessity to be successful. Which like you said is a good thing given how expensive college is becoming. I also agree with you that community college is a BRILLIANT 1st step. While I did not attend Ivy league I can honestly say in my professional career I have NEVER been asked nor has any employer ever cared where I went to school or if I ever went to community college.
anyway that is my 2 cents.

But in my parents mind back in 70’s education was the key to everything.
And you right there are many different pathways to the road of success.
My son is a heavy equipment operator and his benefits, ot and salary are incredible. He makes 6 figures and then some. He was in the right place at the right time. And the bonus is he loves his job.

If I could do my life over again a heavy equipment op is what I should of been. I still to this day love watching these vehicles operate. I know I would of been very good at this. Give me a construction site to watch any day of the week and I am ecstatic. It’s fascinating to watch. Much as I could sit in the garden and watch the ants work on their colonies. Just fascinating lol
Ah ok, perhaps I didn't read back far enough in this thread to fully understand your statement. My parents felt the same way about education.

Thanks for the great discussion!

How do you guys feel about the eReaders - Kindle and the like? Do you use them?

I was sceptical, but have quite liked it this year. It’s easier to hold than most books and the font is always the right one for my eyes. There are a few authors I’ll still get in paper, mostly for the challenge of finding a space for them in my library, but most things are downloaded to my ereader.

I wasn’t that excited by the reader I had about 15 years ago. I think I just used it to read the bible and Shakespeare while riding my bike on a trainer in the winter. I finished both and didn’t use that reader any more.

I like the book in my hand too although I listen to podcasts and enjoy the ones I have heard!

I occasionally use the Kindle app on my iPad. But I'm primarily physical book.

What I find odd is that if you told 15-year-old me that someday I could have a handheld device with thousands of books on it, I'd have been all over it.

Things like a Masters degree in accounting is looked at having a poor return on investment compared to taking the tests for the CPA exam.
I dunno… my wife has a masters in accounting, hasn’t sat for the CPA, and makes six figures.

We’re carrying $40k worth of student loan debt, but most of that is from her two years at two different pay-to-play art schools she languished about in before settling into a real career.

Sh!t… I think being an accountant at a firm is a great idea.

I dunno… my wife has a masters in accounting, hasn’t sat for the CPA, and makes six figures.

We’re carrying $40k worth of student loan debt, but most of that is from her two years at two different pay-to-play art schools she languished about in before settling into a real career.

Sh!t… I think being an accountant at a firm is a great idea.
No question, Accounting is a great field. I was more pointing out how common it is now for grad students looking at ROI regarding masters and doctoral degrees - accounting was just alphabetically at the top of the list lol

No question, Accounting is a great field. I was more pointing out how common it is now for grad students looking at ROI regarding masters and doctoral degrees - accounting was just alphabetically at the top of the list lol
Word! I mean, I know what you meant about ROI, I’ve seen friends and family struggle with their loans after getting their master’s.

I’m just standing up for accountants, my wife went from zero to hero in like, 8 years after deciding to become one.

I also like listening to audiobooks, the narrator I listen to is Michele Obama. Here are the most recent ones I listened to: The Light We Carry, Becoming, More Myself. However, I have another book that is my favorite one of all the time. I reread on https://papersowl.com/examples/the-most-dangerous-game/ so many essay examples on "The Most Dangerous Game". Richard Connell's short story taught me that terror can change a person from civilized to savage.

Last edited:
Back