Reading

I used to be a voracious reader. 2-3 books a week. I gave it up to play guitar. I have read 1 1/2 books in 10 years. Something has to give. Lol
You must be a heckuva player after all that practicing!

I work for about two or three hours after dinner on my own music compositions, and then read until I can't keep my eyes open any more.

But I don't watch TV. Something had to give!

However, I don't regret choosing books over TV.

I was an absolutely voracious reader all throughout my childhood and well into my 30s. I don't read as much as I used to, but still read anything from favorite authors like Neil Gaiman and Jim Butcher. I re-read a lot as well, just finished re-reading the first 3 Dune novels.

I'd like to visit that museum, it's on my bucket list.

The bust of Nefertiti was at one point in a traveling exhibit at the Detroit Institute of Arts, and I did see it. What a beautiful thing.
The bust of Nefertiti was incredible; a presence of life in an inanimate object. But then, maybe I just caught her on a good day.

I used to read a lot more before we had children (over 100 books one year). Now it's about two per month - looking forward to retirement and being able to sit and read for longer stretches. A lot of music bios, a lot of fiction, some other stuff as well.

Favorites? There are a lot - Stephen King, Douglas Adams, Christopher Moore (who's just fantastic) are probably the top of the list. Grady Hendrix is a new fave - I've read "We Sold Our Souls" (about a rock band who did) and "My Best Friend's Exorcism" (the title is a total giveaway). Just picked up his "The Final Girl Support Group" about a, well, support group for the final survivor from horror movie-like scenarios. Looking forward to it.

Stephen King has been very good about recommending books online. Two that he suggested and I read are "Road Of Bones" by Christopher Golden and "Chasing The Boogeyman" by Richard Chizmar. The Chizmar is excellent - it's written in a modern true crime style, and even though it says "novel" right on it, I still looked it up online because he made everything so believable.

Science-wise, the most recent was Katie Mack's "The End Of Everything (Astrophysically Speaking)", about the different scenarios for how the universe will end. Very readable, and great explanations.

The only conspiracy theories I like are that sergio and jxe share the same keyboard :p

I wanna throw in audio books to the mix, I listen to stuff when doing yard work etc Audible have deals, usually buy a few then suspend membership and restart again

Here are my latest, Miriam is a real hoot to read/listen

1.Tony Fadell - Build
2.Miriam Margolyes - This Much Is True
3.Dr Richard Shepherd - Unnatural Causes

Not sure if anyone here uses the “Libby/Overdrive” app (no, it’s not a pedal app). It’s connected to all the (physical) library networks across the country. You select your local library, enter your library card ID, and then you have access to a huge digital library - tens of thousands of books and audio books available - all free. You check them out for 2 or 3 weeks just like at your library. I prefer physical books, but very convenient when traveling, or listening to audio books on long road trips. Highly recommended.

The only conspiracy theories I like are that sergio and jxe share the same keyboard :p

like wendy and lisa??

tumblr_lju2oktb2J1qdmv0so1_500.gif

Never been much of a reader, but always been and always will be a voracious learner! Favorite book ever (which I have read I think 7 times) is "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand!! I usually nod off when I try to sit down and read a book and this has been true my whole life, even middle of the day!!! These days, I would much rather be learning a new song or composing a new song!!!! HATE TV and have since I first heard Frank Zappa's "I'm The Slime" (which gives a really good picture of what TV is there for and does to people)! I still watch a movie (about two per month) and have watched a few modern TV Series (one episode a night - couple nights per week but without commercials, can't stand them, sorry Les, no offense to you and your work). If I do read, it is going to be history or real world stuff (stranger than strange but truer than true)! I have a similar take on sports, hate watching them but love participating!! So if I had offers of "read a book" or "write a book" and had to pick one, it would most certainly be the later of those two (even though many do not want to read what I have to write it would still be my preference). And yes, I do understand that I am missing out on the output of others minds, but I think I will live through it still having a great life! Can't consume it all!!!

Back