Reading

Lola

❤️guitar
When was the last time you read a book? If so, which one. If so, who are some of your favorite authors.

I rarely see anyone reading anymore except maybe how to set up the bunk beds from Ikea for the twins. My friend has twin grandchildren. Lol

I read some most days. I mostly go for easy reads and interesting characters.
I like Kelly Armstrong a lot, particularly her Women of Otherworld - the werewolves are my favourite. Each book stands on its own, though there is some relationship development from book to book.
I’ve read a lot of Koontz, most recently the Jane Hawk series.
Favourite author is probably Tom Robbins, but sadly it’s been a long time since he wrote. His stories are a bit sideways, which I like. Not quite as edgy as Palahniuk who is my second favourite, and still publishes.

I’m not much of a fiction reader, but I do like to read… and to learn. So I normally combine those two by reading tech, financial, or theory type stuff. Currently reading Principles For Dealing With The Changing World Order by Ray Dalio. And I read a bit of The Bible daily as well. Musically, I recently read Peter Frampton’s “Do You Feel Like I Do?” and it was entertaining and told me a lot I didn’t know about one of my guitar heroes.

My wife loves fiction and reads voraciously, much more than I do. I wish I had that habit. The saying “Five years from today, you will be the same person that you are today, except for the books you read and the people you meet“ may not be 100% true, it does have a lot of truth contained in it. Expanding your scope of experience is a good thing.

This year I've been working through the Jack Reacher books. Got to book 7 by May but have run out of steam and haven't read since. I'm normally quite a reader but I have to be in to the books and most of the authors I like I've finished everything they've done. Now I have to wait for them to write new books

About two months ago I read Robby Krieger's book "Set The Night On Fire." The Doors have always been a huge favorite of mine so for me I really enjoyed it. lately I've been reading bit's over again here and there.

Started re-reading "A Question of Character" which is about John F. Kennedy. I read it many years ago and felt like giving it a go again. Both mentioned books show how much you really don't know about individuals. You may know bit's and stories from here and there but once you really get into it you find out how much you don't know.

i don’t like most new writing and wish it would stop. but that’s okay, i’m still getting around to old stuff. like i’m in the middle of a thomas mann, but i read and write so much for work i can barely handle guitar forums anymore.

Also a Bible reader, will be reading some music instruction (Mickey Baker Jazz 1 & 2 books) for insight as to chord triads and inversions for jazz chord voicings. Own a shelf of cookbooks that is sometimes referenced, other relevant books include gardening, music instruction, health, creative thinking. Older works include Dale Carnegie, some etiquette and peaceful co-existence reference works.

I read about 70-75 books a year, mostly history.

I just re-read Paul Kriwaczek's excellent history, Babylon. It examines the historical periods of the dominance of the Sumerian, Babylonian and Assyrian cultures. Lots to unpack, I'm glad I re-read it. I started another book last night.

I typically read thrillers and classic spy novels, but the last two books I read were historical nonfiction, and absolutely fascinating. Both by author Erik Larson. The first was “In the Garden of Beasts”, about the U.S. ambassador to Germany and his family in the years leading up to WWII, and their life in Berlin interacting with the Nazis. The second was “The Splendid and the Vile”, about Churchill’s first year in office as Germany tried to bomb England to surrender. The way he writes is as if he was there at the moment, interviewing all the main characters. Both highly recommended.

I used to be a voracious reader. 2-3 books a week. I gave it up to play guitar. I have read 1 1/2 books in 10 years. Something has to give. Lol
Sounds like me. During my working years I barely had time for anything let alone reading. But now that I'm retired (and getting older) I figure my brain needs all the help it can get which is why I'm reading much more now.

Now if I can just find my glasses!!!

I read about 70-75 books a year, mostly history.

I just re-read Paul Kriwaczek's excellent history, Babylon. It examines the historical periods of the dominance of the Sumerian, Babylonian and Assyrian cultures. Lots to unpack, I'm glad I re-read it. I started another book last night.
You REALLY need to go to the Pergamon Museum in Berlin. The bust of Nefertiti is there also. Phenomenal experience.

Back