Raw brass tremolo arm/bar/whammy bar for 1980 West St Limited?

ZoomP

Hi, didn't get a straight answer from fellow Wastes! Can I check if anyone receive a regular nickel plated PRS Tremolo bar rather than raw brass ones on your West St Limited?

Mine came with nickel Trem arm. Specially it's a brown one from 2008.

My cherrie Westie came with a nickel bar . While I have several trem guitars, I never put the bars in ( except the Bigsby) I use the heel of my hand to add a bit of waver and that's it .

My cherrie Westie came with a nickel bar . While I have several trem guitars, I never put the bars in ( except the Bigsby) I use the heel of my hand to add a bit of waver and that's it .
Thanks wolf. I'm assuming you got your Westie brand new?

I got mine from CME the folks who own Reverb. It was NOS and flawless.

The one thing I've found special on mine is the neck is figured Sapele, there's is no veneer on the headstock , trust me and another Luthier looked VERY closely under great lighting for a while.

Sapele is inherently less expensive than flamed mahogany of other species, I've looked at every other Westie's neck that's been available online hoping to find a natural with a figured neck , all have the headstock . so far none share that feature .. Sometimes you get lucky .

My triple soapy has a flamed mahogany neck .. not too many of those on that model, it must have been a wood library as the finish wasn't stock ( tortiseshell)

These days , they only go in the collection if they are rare , and pretty

I got mine from CME the folks who own Reverb. It was NOS and flawless.

The one thing I've found special on mine is the neck is figured Sapele, there's is no veneer on the headstock , trust me and another Luthier looked VERY closely under great lighting for a while.

Sapele is inherently less expensive than flamed mahogany of other species, I've looked at every other Westie's neck that's been available online hoping to find a natural with a figured neck , all have the headstock . so far none share that feature .. Sometimes you get lucky .

My triple soapy has a flamed mahogany neck .. not too many of those on that model, it must have been a wood library as the finish wasn't stock ( tortiseshell)

These days , they only go in the collection if they are rare , and pretty
post a photo pls!

prs-bass-guitars-5-string-or-more-prs-1980-west-street-limited-vintage-cherry-2008-u4684057001-30286959083655_2000x.jpg
prs-bass-guitars-5-string-or-more-prs-1980-west-street-limited-vintage-cherry-2008-u4684057001-30286958952583_2000x.jpg

Nice back... Trying to make out the flames on the neck. Might be just flamed mahogany.

look at the headstock end .. figure does not always run through wood ... FYI Sapele is in the Mahogany family, Meliceae

here's a pic of 3 Sapele neck billets , notice the figure difference depending on side ....
9105649feb03ea669ea78062d298673bd49920fa8122a5a73ef1f7d57559

Sapele wood is of medium hardness with a Janka rating of 1510 lbs making is harder than most domestic North American Species, "reg Aftrican Mahogany is 1070 lbs . The harder the wood ( i.e. denser) generally the brighter the tone.

Sapele grows with an interlocking grain pattern where the fibers twist around the tree as they grow, a key strength difference.

Sapele is definitely the cream of the African Mahogany like hardwoods in performance, stability, and appearance

Last edited:
Back